Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

When to take out the polarizer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: When to take out the polarizer Reply with quote

Hi there,
I always find the polarizer to be a very nice and sexy filter and I was wondering when there is the time to take it out of the lens?
Can the polarizer cause extra problems or I can just still have it there always on my lens?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaios,

It's best to take off the polarizer as soon as you don't see any annoying reflection on the frame you're taking the photo. In general, an UV filter will protect your lens with less interference.

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarizer will reduce the light intensity by 1-3 stops. Also, more glasses mean higher chance of reducing image quality. You will get more flare too if you point the lens to a strong light source.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take it out. It stays there on both 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 Canon.
However, I'll take it out whenever I shoot with Contax S-Planar 100/4. That's a totally different lens species Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need sunglasses outside, a polarizer will definitely help. If you don't need sunglasses, it might or might not help depending on reflections, foliage, etc. On overcast days, it doesn't help so much, and will just lower the amount of light to the lens. It can help also with rainbows.

Get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and it'll help you with figuring out when a polarizer would be useful.

I lived in England for a year and used the polarizer much less than in the states. That's English weather for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another polarizer tip. It's often said that to save money you can buy a polarizer for the lens with the largest filter diameter and get step-up rings. That's really the best way to go.....however....

I recently got a cheapo 200mm f/3.5 Vivitar. It's alright... not sure about it. Since it isn't stabilized, I usually need as much light as I can get in there. But anyway it takes a 62mm filter and I still wanted to try a polarizer on it. I only have a 58mm polarizer so I was thinking, damn I don't want to put a *step-down* ring on, that'll vignette. Everyone always says that.

But then I realized.... wait a second, I have a cropped sensor body camera. Those sides always get cut off! So I ordered a step-down ring. Since I don't need it very quickly I bought it from a cheapo China seller on ebay. No idea when itll come. I'll let you know how I do.

I'm pretty sure the filter will work without any vignette though since it's just 4mm on an APS-C sensor. So step-*down* rings are probably another option for APS-C/MFT folks.