Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aperture ring stuck on "A" (but blades working)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Aperture ring stuck on "A" (but blades working) Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my first post on mflenses (i usually just read stuff here Very Happy) so if I am missing some guidelines or posting in the wrong place, please let me know.

I have acquired a 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Sigma Zoom Lens for Canon FD. The lens works great but the aperture ring seems to be stuck on the wrong side of the "A" (not towards the aperture numbers: 22 16 11 etc.). I cannot seem to get the "button" down sufficient to turn the aperture ring back to the values no matter what i do.

If i push the "levers" on the back of the lens i can get the aperture blades to open and close with no problem, so they do not seem to be stuck. I can also move the ring a little bit (1mm) from side to side, so it is not the ring that is stuck per se. This makes me think that the "button" has somehow locked in the wrong place and won't release. Can anyone advise me on how i may solve this issue?

I really appreciate all the help you can give me, thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Terkild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Aperture ring stuck on "A" (but blades working Reply with quote

Terkild wrote:
Hi,

This is my first post on mflenses (i usually just read stuff here Very Happy) so if I am missing some guidelines or posting in the wrong place, please let me know.

I have acquired a 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Sigma Zoom Lens for Canon FD. The lens works great but the aperture ring seems to be stuck on the wrong side of the "A" (not towards the aperture numbers: 22 16 11 etc.). I cannot seem to get the "button" down sufficient to turn the aperture ring back to the values no matter what i do.

If i push the "levers" on the back of the lens i can get the aperture blades to open and close with no problem, so they do not seem to be stuck. I can also move the ring a little bit (1mm) from side to side, so it is not the ring that is stuck per se. This makes me think that the "button" has somehow locked in the wrong place and won't release. Can anyone advise me on how i may solve this issue?

I really appreciate all the help you can give me, thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Terkild

Pics dont show on first post.

Does the lens have to be mounted on a camera or adapter first? I'm not an FD man myself but I have several lenses and they only seem to work when they're mounted...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aperture ring stuck on "A" (but blades working Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Pics dont show on first post.

Does the lens have to be mounted on a camera or adapter first? I'm not an FD man myself but I have several lenses and they only seem to work when they're mounted...

I have mounted the lens on a native Canon camera and on a Nex adapter and dismounted it does not change the fact that i cannot turn the aperture ring. I have other canon FD lenses and they work fine on the adapter (and camera).

Good to know with the picture Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pressing that little button while turning the aperture ring...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Try pressing that little button while turning the aperture ring...

Thanks, but that is kinda the issue, I cannot press the button far enough down to enable the ring to move.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noone has anymore suggestions on what i may do to fix the ring?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a ton of similar Sigmas, and build quality on these is pretty poor. Most likely something got inside the ring, or something got out of place, or something else of a similar sort. I'd suggest taking the mount off and cleaning aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
I've seen a ton of similar Sigmas, and build quality on these is pretty poor. Most likely something got inside the ring, or something got out of place, or something else of a similar sort. I'd suggest taking the mount off and cleaning aperture ring.

Is there anything i should be aware of when taking the mount off? Is it difficult to put back together?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's that difficult - just snap a few pics to have a reference of how it looked originally. Don't lose detent ball.