Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mitakon Zhongyi SLR 85mm F2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Mitakon Zhongyi SLR 85mm F2.0 Reply with quote

Anyone try this lens? Marketed (manufactured?) by the Lens Turbo company in China.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitakon-Zhongyi-Silent-Frame-Camera/dp/B00EQ25X2S/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404076875&sr=1-4&keywords=lens+turbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't search well enough. Found an older thread...

http://forum.mflenses.com/mitakon-85mm-f2-t61011,highlight,%2Bmitakon.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this recently as well. Didn't find too many examples. None here on MFlense. Price is about a used FD 85mm. Wonder it one should pay $70 extra for the Samyang.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not very expensive, why not give it a shot? It is build with metal, not plastic. I had considered buying one but I have too much good 85/90 already.

Back to the performance of this lens, this lens shows a bit of field curve at the edge. If you want a lens sharp at the edge, you better buy the SAMYANG 85mm. The C/P of SAMYANG 85mm is very high. For those who want something different, the Mitakon is worth for it unique rendering.

P.S. The maker is Zhongyi Optics and the brand is Mitakon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
It is not very expensive, why not give it a shot? It is build with metal, not plastic. I had considered buying one but I have too much good 85/90 already.

Back to the performance of this lens, this lens shows a bit of field curve at the edge. If you want a lens sharp at the edge, you better buy the SAMYANG 85mm. The C/P of SAMYANG 85mm is very high. For those who want something different, the Mitakon is worth for it unique rendering.

On the net, some reviewers commented on "the dubious return process + copy variation makes this ultimately a risky buy". Although it is not super expensive, I am not sure I want to spend $170 find out since SAMYANG can be had for $50 more with a in state supplier.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

On the net, some reviewers commented on "the dubious return process + copy variation makes this ultimately a risky buy". Although it is not super expensive, I am not sure I want to spend $170 find out since SAMYANG can be had for $50 more with a in state supplier.

I am not sure about the return process. About the copy variation, I think SAMYANG have the same problem. My suggestion: Buy the SAMYANG if you are in doubt. If you can pay more and want to have more fun, consider the Leica Summicron R 90.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
drjs wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I am not sure about the return process. About the copy variation, I think SAMYANG have the same problem. My suggestion: Buy the SAMYANG if you are in doubt. If you can pay more and want to have more fun, consider the Leica Summicron R 90.

Hehe. Unfortunately photography gear acquisition tend to have gear creep resulting in ever more expensive gears. Embarassed Embarassed I always seem to just want slight more gear for another 50-100 bucks. Since this is a hobby and I don't earn anything from it, I try not to spend too much in a month to cause the wife's ire. It is such a shame all the 85-90mm lenses are so expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
drjs wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Hehe. Unfortunately photography gear acquisition tend to have gear creep resulting in ever more expensive gears. Embarassed Embarassed I always seem to just want slight more gear for another 50-100 bucks. Since this is a hobby and I don't earn anything from it, I try not to spend too much in a month to cause the wife's ire. It is such a shame all the 85-90mm lenses are so expensive.

In many situations, a 85-90 F2.8 is enough for your A7. Since you don't have any Germany lens in your signature, I would suggest look for a Schacht Travenar 2.8/85 or 2.8/90. You should be able to find one around $100 to $130 if you are patient. Make sure you get a hood for it. Sell it afterward for a small profit if you don't like it. If you really need a Japanese lens, the Canon FD 1.8/85 S.S.C can had for less than $100.

P.S. Your Zeiss Sonnar 35mm F/2.8 cost more than any of the lens in my signature.