Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Prakticar 28mm f2.8 and 50mm 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Pentacon Prakticar 28mm f2.8 and 50mm 1.8 Reply with quote

These lenses are really really cheap, but I find them kinda interesting. They allow for close minimum focus distance, and the 50 1.8 is rather glowy when used wide open, which gives it a useful quality. The 28mm produces blueish colder colours, which can be good or bad, depending how you look at it.

A lovely day in London, a fountain, and the 28mm.

I enhanced the colours a bit in PS.

Lightroom edit mostly for Infra red-ish mood.

Small amount of lightroom edits for colour distribution.

Close focusing with the 50mm...

Creamed in Lightroom.

Pretty much as shot originally.

Handling is not that pleasant on my EOS because the PB to EOS adapter ring requires shaving, and the aperture ring is hard to get to. Still, they have a place in my collection for now.

R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more examples of the 50mm 1.8.
I do like this lens a lot. It's more versatile than it may seem initially.:

These samples show it can be pretty sharp.

While here we have more of the somewhat surreal glowy look...
These are actually for a fictional diary of a trans-dimensional traveller. More here in this FB album: http://on.fb.me/1n6vluA

(Read the comments for the accompanying diary entries. )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are well known performers and you master them very well. I really like your samples Very Happy

You are good at composing a limited area to work as a whole Wink

Cheers
Lars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples, you are good with that lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
These are well known performers and you master them very well. I really like your samples Very Happy

You are good at composing a limited area to work as a whole Wink

Cheers
Lars

I'm still pretty green to all this, so I have little idea about which are the unsung heroes or the quiet strong performers. It's great fun finding out though Smile

Thanks regarding my compositions. I often try to cut out distractions when the images don't need it. I actually want to get a lot better at photography that takes in the environment though. Like this one, shot with the 28mm:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Nice pictures I like the second last one a lot !

Much obliged Smile

This is the accompanying diary entry:

Floran Traveller wrote:
The vortex wasn't stable. It was of sufficient size for my vessel, but its edges shimmered and oscillated in ways that instilled no confidence in me. Far from it.

It seemed I was presented with an impossible choice: Find another vortex here, in a habitat that could be the death of me at a moment's notice, or take my chances sending my ship into this maelstrom of violent inter-dimensional eddies that lay ahead.

These are not choices that I wish to face. But face them I must.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28mm has 3 srews around the rear of the barrel that allow to adjust the axis of the last element. While converting the 28mm I've adjusted the axis and got blue glow only at the very corners so that it almost disappeared.
The main disadvantage is that the color formula of the 28mm is not suitable for wide panorama shots - too yellowish, while OK for close focus and porttraits.

My 50 mm is blurry wide-open, but sharp closed up a bit Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, superb compositions. I love number 1, but they are very good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for for the 50 f1.8

I loved mine. and the 30cm close focus was great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosaster wrote:
The 28mm has 3 srews around the rear of the barrel that allow to adjust the axis of the last element. While converting the 28mm I've adjusted the axis and got blue glow only at the very corners so that it almost disappeared.
The main disadvantage is that the color formula of the 28mm is not suitable for wide panorama shots - too yellowish, while OK for close focus and porttraits.

My 50 mm is blurry wide-open, but sharp closed up a bit Smile

Ahh that is interesting. Thee is so much to learn! I only just managed to adjust the infinity point on a Helios 44-m, which sudden;y made it a much more useful lens. I am tempted to see if I can do a similar thing with these lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
+1 for for the 50 f1.8

I loved mine. and the 30cm close focus was great

Yeah, it makes it extra useful and fun. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I agree, superb compositions. I love number 1, but they are very good.

Hey thanks!

Blush....