Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Messing with Meyer Trioplan 100. Again, butterflies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I actually don't yet know if I'm used to upload incorrectly or is the vanishing in time a natural part of the process. Be that as it may, I have uploaded all my butterfly related stuff (and generally most of my stuff) on Flickr, creating a gallery for each lens I work with.

It looks far better in the Flickr layout anyway. It was always somehow enlarged here.

I myself see a lot of room for improvements for a lens like this, and if I could time-travel, I would change something on half of the photos or more Razz This clean and surprisingly also sharp Argynnis aglaja photo is my favourite so far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popular butterfly shot with a popular lens. Apollo meets Trioplan Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing shots!!

(I will place the portraits in another thread if you don't mind Marek, too good to get lost here...)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the new butterfly season is officially happening. Yayay!

Many things changed, I have M42 Trioplan with very practical small old extension ring instead. However the drawing remains the same - possibly my favourite for butterflies.

As you may see MFD on the Telemegor on the left is pretty spooky (2.65 m) so the ring will be very useful this year.

EXA version of the Trioplan.

Marek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may. What causes the almost dynamic background effects of some of the lenses on this site?

Oh and nice photos.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinCrabtree wrote:
If I may. What causes the almost dynamic background effects of some of the lenses on this site?

Oh and nice photos.

Grass and shrubs usually.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinCrabtree wrote:

Please explain what you mean by "dynamic". Since you said "site" and not just this post, I suspect what you are talking about is the characteristic of the lens. Meyer has several lenses with art-like bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
MartinCrabtree wrote:

Please explain what you mean by "dynamic". Meyer has several lenses with art-like bokeh.

That's it. The bokeh is almost alive to me. What is it in the lens' design that creates that ability? And it's not restricted to background either. The image of the white flowers foreground contains a bit of that effect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a beautiful shoots!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinCrabtree wrote:
woodrim wrote:
MartinCrabtree wrote:

Please explain what you mean by "dynamic". Meyer has several lenses with art-like bokeh.

That's it. The bokeh is almost alive to me. What is it in the lens' design that creates that ability? And it's not restricted to background either. The image of the white flowers foreground contains a bit of that effect.

Probably just the beautiful flaws in Meyer lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, this is a typical love/hate lens with love/hate drawing that everyone has strong and clear opinion about (usually it attracts people but not all).

However the butterfly photos is nothing out of ordinary, 14 days later I'll be shooting fresh morning Southern Festoon butterflies where I might be able to experiment more on a prettier young butterflies to achieve some progress this year (which could be kind of hard after last years' results Very Happy )

Also the distance with the extra ring is right on the edge, one step forward and Trioplan optics quality would just not be capable of adequate sharpness and also nice OOF drawing might be lost. So, as for me, the photo literally shouts one more step and you'll snap total crap. (Or to crop images less, if possible.)

I put also Telemegor out of my bag but it sucked hard this time, either the new more collectors-like copy is worst that the last year's one or f/5.5 was just too much this time no matter on Telemegor copy used. Various Telemegors may be even better for this type of photos, but generally much harder to achieve so I prefer Trioplan most of the time. That's pretty much explanating why on earth it costs twice as much as average salary in Bulgaria these days.

For those who joined forums recently, Telemegor draws butterflies eg. this way. (Why is this forum enlarging all 900x600 and smaller photos anyway?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I practiced with one small old extension ring I accidentally bought with the lens itself. Funny - so I realized how stupid I was last year.

I like its results with or without ring, spring, autumn, light, dark, rain, sun... Just very practical lens in the grass, unlike some other Meyers.

Now I do have a clear inspiration how to improve the butterfly photos Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bokeh achieved in OOF areas behind those butterflies pretty much speaks for itself why does it currently cost so much on Ebay Smile

Of course bokeh is somewhat "rougher" and not exactly what used to be with one more decent M42 extension ring, but it has a good impact on butterfly detail, however, on the first pic presented on a half-dead worn animal Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't put this damn lens off

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinCrabtree wrote:

MartinCrabtree wrote:

Over corrected spherical aberration is the reason for the enhanced background structures, and smooth foreground.
I thinl the Trioplan 100 is the king for this kind of aberration. The Trioplan 100 is the most well known lens for this, and that lenses even attracts "AF only" photographers to try manual focus. Some old lenses have this effect, but only two current Defocus Control Nikkors seem to be reliable giving such an "effect" when used with right settings.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan draws something interesting not only in a number of occassions as Telemegor 180 but every single time when I put the lens on. I am only keeping the #1 photo though, second one is somehow poinsonous and unpleasant to my eyes Mad

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan 100 still loyal to me in my bag:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series! I especially like the lighting on the last two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All incredible, pro, pro!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and here goes the bonus Very Happy Both the place and the light conditions was very special yesterday morning, so I shot more and more like insane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images every time!