Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys !

I will buy extension rings for my 50mm lens and the 180mm f/2.8 is going to be my 3rd portait lens. Now I have the best focal lenght for everything, full body, headshots etc.

Now for headshots I use my Samyang and it blurs the bacround insanely good too. Here are 2 samples.

It's also very sharp, I almost can't believe how sharp it is wide open considering the price. Here is a 100% crop of the eye from another picture in which is approximately half of the body of the model.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portraits! Very well done!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your opinions about Nikon 135mm f/2.8, they are offering me one of these for 40 GBP ?

Actually don't mind that question, the only thing that attracts me is the price, I don't really need it. I found extension tubes 9mm 16mm and 30mm I guess it's what I need and ordered them, you were right pretty cheap. But how will I control the aperture ? The G auto focus version of the 50mm which I own does not allow that without contact with the body.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Nikon 135mm F2.8 lens is outstanding. If the lens is perfect, optically and mechanically, then 40 GBP seems to be a good price. From the standpoint of photographic use, as you already have the excellent Samyang 85mm F1.4, the Nikon might not add much. The Nikon would serve more as a bridge between the Samyang and Sonnar. Nonetheless, the 135mm could be used as a macro lens with interesting performance. Do you need the Nikon? I don't know.... it's up to you to decide if it is worth investing in Nikon 40 GBP. If you are interested in a new lens, an alternative could be a wide angle lens like the Samyang 24mm 1.4.

Regarding the control of the diaphragm with extension rings, it seems that is not possible with the Nikon G lenses unless you use extension rings with electrical contacts, which unfortunately are relatively expensive. But wait! The Samyang lens can be used perfectly well with common extension rings. The focal length of 85mm is probably more interesting than 50mm for macrophotography because it allows a greater distance between the lens and the subject being photographed. I would like to remind you that enlarging lenses are excellent macro lenses. Maybe your grandfather has a 50mm or 75mm enlarging lens to lend to you …

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for giving me the best answer, again !

I will just use the Samyang for macro with the same rings, it's built to be manually focused so it's going to be easier for me than the 50mm it's not really made for that and it would have been harder anyway.

About the enlarging lenses, I will have to ask about that I am not sure if he has any.

I think that is for now, I will be back when I know what the wide lens is and when my adapter for the 180mm arrives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that I too have the 180/2.8 Olympia Zebra Sonnar.
This thing is a beast in size and weight especially when adapted to my Sony A7. but it is a nice lens if you have patience and/or a tripod of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good news, I don't know how but the adapter has arrived ! Only 7 days, usually it takes around 20 for packages from China. The post closed before I managed to get to it, but I will get the adapter tomorrow, expect the first shots.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here ! First of all I don't know how, I don't know why but my d5100 gives me focus confirmation with the green dot and it's accurate, gotta love Nikon. I have no idea how is this happening there is no connection with the body it shows no lens attached, but I am verry happy about that.

Some very basic shots I will try it for portraits later. It's very very sharp on 2.8 and even more stopped down but that is normal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens appears to be good!
The B&W portrait captured a strong character!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice gost89

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gerald that is my other grandfather, he is indeed a strong character ex military, he has seen some things.

Here is the promised portrait shot. For portraits I am going to continue mainly relying on the 85mm f/1.4 it's lighter has better bokeh and it's easier to focus, has better colors also the 180mm on dx camera requires too much space. But I will find where to use the 180mm because it's a great lens.

Here is the shot, btw I know that this focal length is best for headshots.

Here is a shot from the Samyang nothing to do with the previos one, I just like it Very Happy

Last edited by gost89 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful girl, excellent light, what's not to like? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt the Samyang 85mm F1.4 is a more practical lens for portraits. The CZJ 180mm F2.8, which weighs 3X more, should be reserved for uses that require more reach than the Samyang, such as sports and wildlife photography.

Congratulations for the portraits. You got talent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I will try it for sports photography tomorrow(tennis) it's going to be very hard to manually focus but I will try Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned my grandfather a few times so I decided to show him to you.

Here is the old photographer, he is 80 years old now and I hope he will live a lot more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have the lens and will probably never buy it but I enjoy reading the discussion in this thread. Thanks to everyone.

@gost89. I like you portraits, especially the soldier grandpa.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new one

It's perfect for that type of shots, I am inlove Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice tones and colours.
Very natural pose. I like hair very much.
Smile
I only regret you cut her head.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't cut people's head off but I think I will start. Adds a unique perspective.
http://petapixel.com/2014/07/07/humor-photography-themed-t-shirt-tells-everybody-shoot-people/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did cut it on purpose, it just worked better, I know it's not good to cut it but for that type of closed shot it's "allowed"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful image!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful girl,great image.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shot!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using five of my 6x6 medium format lenses adapted on my Sony A6500, and have them stabalized, which helps a lot especially on the bulky and heavy 180mm lens! On the APS-C Sony A6500 I have a 2.8/270mm lens with an 1,7m close distance focusing!

Attached please find the first shootings with this combo!