Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gost89 wrote:
And a last question, how does these lenses work with the modern bodies (I have d5100 and d7000) From where I found that lens there are two more Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 but I have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G so it's not of interest for me and the 3rd lens is some wide angle but I don't know the specs yet.

The CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a superb lens. It shines in the 6x6 format, but is no slouch with FF or cropped sensor, too. The wide open image is already quite good, but the quality certainly benefits if the lens is closed down one or two stops.

The Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a very rugged lens, and very easy to maintain lens when/if the focusing helicoid grease dries. Possibly the only drawback of the Sonnar is its weight and size, but note it is not heavier than a modern AF 70-200mm F2.8 zoom, for example.

If you intend to use the Sonnar 180mm on a tripod, you need a screw adapter from 3/8" to 1/4", as those mentioned in this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-tele-xenar-5-5-360-tripod-mountquestion-t66543.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Rolf wrote:
gost89 wrote:
........ they provide a lot considering the low price.

Sorry - but you could be wrong with that.

Very good MF lenses (in terms of image quality, overall condition, bayonet type etc) are normally not cheap. If these lenses are collector items too they could be higher in price than new ones. Cheap MF lenses normally will have cheaper image quality, mechanical or glass problems etc. too.

So be carefully and save the money for better lenses. The price is what you have to pay for - the worth is what you will get back.

Wink

Excellent lenses exist that we're produced in the high 10.000s and are still relatively cheap. (Exp: Nikon 105 2.5)
....... )

Sorry, I'm a little bit late with my response.

The question is what is "cheap" or "relatively cheap". If you will ask 10 persons you will get 10 different answers.

A price range of the above mentioned 2.5/105 Nikor - which I own too and I like it a lot - between 150 Euro and approx. 300 Euros depending of the condition is neither cheap nor relatively cheap, it is a fair price for a very good lens - and that is what I mean in my first post.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
gost89 wrote:
And a last question, how does these lenses work with the modern bodies (I have d5100 and d7000) From where I found that lens there are two more Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 but I have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G so it's not of interest for me and the 3rd lens is some wide angle but I don't know the specs yet.

The CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a superb lens. It shines in the 6x6 format, but is no slouch with FF or cropped sensor, too. The wide open image is already quite good, but the quality certainly benefits if the lens is closed down one or two stops.

The Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a very rugged lens, and very easy to maintain lens when/if the focusing helicoid grease dries. Possibly the only drawback of the Sonnar is its weight and size, but note it is not heavier than a modern AF 70-200mm F2.8 zoom, for example.

If you intend to use the Sonnar 180mm on a tripod, you need a screw adapter from 3/8" to 1/4", as those mentioned in this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-tele-xenar-5-5-360-tripod-mountquestion-t66543.html

Thanks for the input ! I noticed that it does not fit on the tripod, but I was not sure exactly what I need now I know Smile The adapter is ordered and must be already sent, unfortunately I will have to wait till the end of the month, can't wait to try the lens.

What I forgot to mention before is that the lens has a very solid leather(brown) case like this one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Sonnar 180mm F2.8 came with a leather case exactly like yours. But your case appears to be in much better shape than mine! Smile

Below some information I found on the web (I don't remember from where) that might be of your interest and other forum members.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Can I somehow find in which year was mine made ? Not exactly of course +- 5 is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gost89 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Can I somehow find in which year was mine made ? Not exactly of course +- 5 is good enough for me.

Take a look here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-lenses-issue-date-by-serial-number-t6865.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure many people here know that CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is basically the Olympia Sonnar, a legendary Zeiss lens especially designed for the famous German photographer Leni Riefenstahl to cover the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. Leni Riefenstahl was Hitler's favorite photographer/filmmaker. Leni Riefenstahl directed the controversial Nazi propaganda film Triumph of the Will.

This site has interesting information and photographs of the Olympia Sonnar:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/Contax_RF/ContaxRF180mmf282.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
gost89 wrote:

Take a look here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-lenses-issue-date-by-serial-number-t6865.html

Thanks a lot again. If I am not mistaken my serial 9151393, it's on the lens hood not on the lens itself that makes it between 1970-75 so probably about 40 years old.

Btw that lens hood is really big Very Happy It's the same size as the lens itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that the ring that holds the adapter to the P6 mount operates in reverse direction; clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the older version. I have the MC version, and it's a very good lens.

I would never use it on a DSLR, but I love to shoot it on the Pentacon Six, heavy but the results are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going completely offtopic here, but I think there is no point of a new thread.

Can you recommend me good macro mf lens that is relatively cheap ? I know that good and cheap don't go usually work together, but macro is not my thing I shoot it in very rare occasions and just wanna have a macro lens, I believe I will make better pictures with no macro lens at all.

2nd thing the same thing about portrait lens ? I shoot mostly portraits and I have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and Samyang f/1.4 and absolutely love both, I use the 85mm when I am shooting single person and the 50mm for groups. Maybe you can recommend me something longer than the 85mm ?

Thanks in advance

Today I saw some of the things that my grandad owns, he has stuff for a completely laboratory I guess he processed all the images he took by himself. I am not very familiar with the process, I was born in the early 90s. I also found a Soviet Russian camera Аврора 2x8 from what I saw on ebay it's very cheap so there is no point of selling it, I will just make a gift to someone if there is a one that wants it in my country.

P.S I am searchind thru his stuff not with the mind to sell them, I just want to use some of them and if I can't to sell them and buy some that I can.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know your cam - I believe it was a Nikon - so try to get Nikon lenses, otherwse you have to buy adapters too.

There are 2 or 3 Nikon macro lens - relativelly cheap or you try addition macro rings(set of 3 different pcs) for macro with your normal 50mm Nikon lens, seems to be the best solution.

And the best for portrait is 2/135 Nikor AI(s) - normally not cheap but 1st class, or perhaps 2,5/105 (maybe too sharp for a portrait lens) or 1.8/105 (not cheap too and perhaps to short too) . Or a 2.8/180 (a must to have lens for a Nikon shooter) - also not really cheap and perhaps too long for a portrait lens. So best focal length would be a 135mm lens.

Wink

BTW sorry for a link into another forum but here you can see what's going with all kind of manual Nikon lenses. One of the largest thread at FM
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gost89 wrote:
Can you recommend me good macro mf lens that is relatively cheap ?

You already have a great macro lens, the Nikkor 50mm F1.8! All you need is a set of extension rings, which can be bought very cheap on eBay. The extension rings are very versatile because they can also be used with the Samyang 85mm F1.4 and 180mm F2.8 Sonnar.

In macro photography the focusing technique is somewhat different from the conventional photography. You choose one or more extension rings for a particular magnification, and move toward or away from the subject to focus on.

gost89 wrote:
2nd thing the same thing about portrait lens ? I shoot mostly portraits and I have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and Samyang f/1.4 and absolutely love both, I use the 85mm when I am shooting single person and the 50mm for groups. Maybe you can recommend me something longer than the 85mm ?

With the Nikkor and Samyang you are already very well served for portrait photography, but the Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is terrific for portraits with greater intimacy, face and shoulder or just the face, for example.

The Sonnar 180mm F2.8 when used on an APS-C camera has an angular coverage equivalent to a 288mm lens on FF. To give an idea of the kind of portrait that is obtained with a telephoto lens, take a look at these photos:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&article=64

Although the photographer used a 500mm lens, the result would not be much different with the Sonnar. Notice how the background becomes almost completely blurred.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for this CZJ Sonnar 2.8/180.

This is a very good lens performing very well on my Canon 5D MkII.

http://forum.mflenses.com/some-sonnar-2-8-180-shots-up-for-laurence-t28288,highlight,%2Bsonnar+%2B180.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-sonnar-180mm-f2-8-and-a-cat-t62195,highlight,%2Bsonnar+%2B180mm.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys !

I will buy extension rings for my 50mm lens and the 180mm f/2.8 is going to be my 3rd portait lens. Now I have the best focal lenght for everything, full body, headshots etc.

Now for headshots I use my Samyang and it blurs the bacround insanely good too. Here are 2 samples.

It's also very sharp, I almost can't believe how sharp it is wide open considering the price. Here is a 100% crop of the eye from another picture in which is approximately half of the body of the model.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portraits! Very well done!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your opinions about Nikon 135mm f/2.8, they are offering me one of these for 40 GBP ?

Actually don't mind that question, the only thing that attracts me is the price, I don't really need it. I found extension tubes 9mm 16mm and 30mm I guess it's what I need and ordered them, you were right pretty cheap. But how will I control the aperture ? The G auto focus version of the 50mm which I own does not allow that without contact with the body.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Nikon 135mm F2.8 lens is outstanding. If the lens is perfect, optically and mechanically, then 40 GBP seems to be a good price. From the standpoint of photographic use, as you already have the excellent Samyang 85mm F1.4, the Nikon might not add much. The Nikon would serve more as a bridge between the Samyang and Sonnar. Nonetheless, the 135mm could be used as a macro lens with interesting performance. Do you need the Nikon? I don't know.... it's up to you to decide if it is worth investing in Nikon 40 GBP. If you are interested in a new lens, an alternative could be a wide angle lens like the Samyang 24mm 1.4.

Regarding the control of the diaphragm with extension rings, it seems that is not possible with the Nikon G lenses unless you use extension rings with electrical contacts, which unfortunately are relatively expensive. But wait! The Samyang lens can be used perfectly well with common extension rings. The focal length of 85mm is probably more interesting than 50mm for macrophotography because it allows a greater distance between the lens and the subject being photographed. I would like to remind you that enlarging lenses are excellent macro lenses. Maybe your grandfather has a 50mm or 75mm enlarging lens to lend to you …

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for giving me the best answer, again !

I will just use the Samyang for macro with the same rings, it's built to be manually focused so it's going to be easier for me than the 50mm it's not really made for that and it would have been harder anyway.

About the enlarging lenses, I will have to ask about that I am not sure if he has any.

I think that is for now, I will be back when I know what the wide lens is and when my adapter for the 180mm arrives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that I too have the 180/2.8 Olympia Zebra Sonnar.
This thing is a beast in size and weight especially when adapted to my Sony A7. but it is a nice lens if you have patience and/or a tripod of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good news, I don't know how but the adapter has arrived ! Only 7 days, usually it takes around 20 for packages from China. The post closed before I managed to get to it, but I will get the adapter tomorrow, expect the first shots.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here ! First of all I don't know how, I don't know why but my d5100 gives me focus confirmation with the green dot and it's accurate, gotta love Nikon. I have no idea how is this happening there is no connection with the body it shows no lens attached, but I am verry happy about that.

Some very basic shots I will try it for portraits later. It's very very sharp on 2.8 and even more stopped down but that is normal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens appears to be good!
The B&W portrait captured a strong character!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice gost89