Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Hello to the community !

I hope I am posting in the right section of the forum.

Long story short I found that lens, my grandad was interested in photography when he was younger.

The problem is I don't know with what kind of mount it is (I think it's Exakta) but I am not sure. Can someone tell me what kind of mount does it have and if it's possible to use it with Nikon ? I hope it is possible with some kind of adapters because I really want to try it out ! If it's now compatible with Nikon does this lens have some value nowadays ?

Thanks in advance !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in Pentacon 6 mount but it has a P6-Exakta adapter on it.

However, it looks like it needs repairing - the adapter is sitting at a funny angle which suggests either the mount or the adapter is broken in some way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gost89,

Nice finding, this is a well regarded lens. This is a medium format lens built for the Pentacon 6 cameras, the mount adapter it has now looks indeed like exakta mount. You can unscrew that mount (it looks already a bit off on your firts picture) and put another one for nikon (you can buy them cheaply on the bay) and use the lens without any problems and with focus to infinity.

The lens value, well for this zebra version should be aroun 60 to 90 GBP according to recently sold items on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys, you really made me happy. I think it's just the adapter that needs repairing, I managed to remove it, here is a new picture for you, this time I tried to do better. Here is what is left after removing the adapter, it looks fine to me, but you are the experts. If it's ok I am ordering an adapter right away and after it arrives I will post pics.

And a last question, how does these lenses work with the modern bodies (I have d5100 and d7000) From where I found that lens there are two more Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 but I have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G so it's not of interest for me and the 3rd lens is some wide angle but I don't know the specs yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Pentacon 6 mount so you need a P6-Nikon adapter.

It does look like it's fine and it was the adapter that was broken. Smile

The 2.8/50 won't be adaptable to Nikon, the wide angle probably won't either, if it's a Zeiss, it will be a Flektogon and they are quite valuable so you could sell it and buy one of the very nice old Nikkor wides like the AI-S 2.8/28.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks a lot ! I will find out what is the wide angle lens after a week or so, my granddad is not in town now. I am ordering an adapter right away, probably two weeks before it arrives, can't wait..

If anyone has something to say about how this lens behave with modern bodies so I know what to expect it will be highly appreciated.

Also in the beginning there was a problem with the aperture ring it was not moving from 2.8 but after a few minutes trying it's now smoothly going up to 32 and back. The glass looks almost like new no scratches and a very little dust spots in the corners.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was cool in this case Bernhardas! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bernhardas, I have no problem shooting in manual so it's going to be ok even with the d5100.

I also own another MF lens which is Samyang 85mm f/1.4 one of the best portrait lenses I have ever touched, I am kind-a starting to love the MF lenses, they provide a lot considering the low price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gost89 wrote:
........ they provide a lot considering the low price.

Sorry - but you could be wrong with that.

Very good MF lenses (in terms of image quality, overall condition, bayonet type etc) are normally not cheap. If these lenses are collector items too they could be higher in price than new ones. Cheap MF lenses normally will have cheaper image quality, mechanical or glass problems etc. too.

So be carefully and save the money for better lenses. The price is what you have to pay for - the worth is what you will get back.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
gost89 wrote:

Very good MF lenses (in terms of image quality, overall condition, bayonet type etc) are normally not cheap. If these lenses are collector items too they could be higher in price than new ones. Cheap MF lenses normally will have cheaper image quality, mechanical or glass problems etc. too.

So be carefully and save the money for better lenses. The price is what you have to pay for - the worth is what you will get back.

Wink

Yes, you are probably right. I made a too general conclusion based on my Samyang, I just got it for about 180 GBP and it's performing like a much more expensive lens, some people even compare it with the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G which is more than 1000 GBP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Rolf wrote:
gost89 wrote:

Wink

An unqualified yes an no !

There are many examples of expensive good and cheap bad lenses to support your argument.
However there are many exceptions on both sides.

Rare lenses that are really not special are sometimes driven high by collectors. (Exp: Vivitar 135 1.5)
Excellent lenses exist that we're produced in the high 10.000s and are still relatively cheap. (Exp: Nikon 105 2.5)
I would also count the better p6 lenses in this group. They had high production numbers.
Some excellent lenses are cheap because they never found a "following".
The last group is getting smaller thanks to this forum. ( no example given, you can find many in the forum. To find treasure do the digging Very Happy )

The price not only reflects the quality(optically, mechanical, usability and brand etc.) but also demand and supply. Lens with high demand and little supply will always be expensive(e.g. Meyer 75mm F1.9). Lens with moderate demand and high supply will have a pretty steady price(e.g. Most of the F1.4 50s).

Some slow lens(say F4 or F4.5) are excellent but cheap because the demand is low. You can find many examples in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gost89 wrote:
And a last question, how does these lenses work with the modern bodies (I have d5100 and d7000) From where I found that lens there are two more Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 but I have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G so it's not of interest for me and the 3rd lens is some wide angle but I don't know the specs yet.

The CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a superb lens. It shines in the 6x6 format, but is no slouch with FF or cropped sensor, too. The wide open image is already quite good, but the quality certainly benefits if the lens is closed down one or two stops.

The Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a very rugged lens, and very easy to maintain lens when/if the focusing helicoid grease dries. Possibly the only drawback of the Sonnar is its weight and size, but note it is not heavier than a modern AF 70-200mm F2.8 zoom, for example.

If you intend to use the Sonnar 180mm on a tripod, you need a screw adapter from 3/8" to 1/4", as those mentioned in this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-tele-xenar-5-5-360-tripod-mountquestion-t66543.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Rolf wrote:
gost89 wrote:

Wink

Excellent lenses exist that we're produced in the high 10.000s and are still relatively cheap. (Exp: Nikon 105 2.5)
....... )

Sorry, I'm a little bit late with my response.

The question is what is "cheap" or "relatively cheap". If you will ask 10 persons you will get 10 different answers.

A price range of the above mentioned 2.5/105 Nikor - which I own too and I like it a lot - between 150 Euro and approx. 300 Euros depending of the condition is neither cheap nor relatively cheap, it is a fair price for a very good lens - and that is what I mean in my first post.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
gost89 wrote:

The CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a superb lens. It shines in the 6x6 format, but is no slouch with FF or cropped sensor, too. The wide open image is already quite good, but the quality certainly benefits if the lens is closed down one or two stops.

The Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is a very rugged lens, and very easy to maintain lens when/if the focusing helicoid grease dries. Possibly the only drawback of the Sonnar is its weight and size, but note it is not heavier than a modern AF 70-200mm F2.8 zoom, for example.

If you intend to use the Sonnar 180mm on a tripod, you need a screw adapter from 3/8" to 1/4", as those mentioned in this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-tele-xenar-5-5-360-tripod-mountquestion-t66543.html

Thanks for the input ! I noticed that it does not fit on the tripod, but I was not sure exactly what I need now I know Smile The adapter is ordered and must be already sent, unfortunately I will have to wait till the end of the month, can't wait to try the lens.

What I forgot to mention before is that the lens has a very solid leather(brown) case like this one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Sonnar 180mm F2.8 came with a leather case exactly like yours. But your case appears to be in much better shape than mine! Smile

Below some information I found on the web (I don't remember from where) that might be of your interest and other forum members.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Can I somehow find in which year was mine made ? Not exactly of course +- 5 is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gost89 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Can I somehow find in which year was mine made ? Not exactly of course +- 5 is good enough for me.

Take a look here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-lenses-issue-date-by-serial-number-t6865.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure many people here know that CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 is basically the Olympia Sonnar, a legendary Zeiss lens especially designed for the famous German photographer Leni Riefenstahl to cover the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. Leni Riefenstahl was Hitler's favorite photographer/filmmaker. Leni Riefenstahl directed the controversial Nazi propaganda film Triumph of the Will.

This site has interesting information and photographs of the Olympia Sonnar:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/Contax_RF/ContaxRF180mmf282.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
gost89 wrote:

Take a look here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-lenses-issue-date-by-serial-number-t6865.html

Thanks a lot again. If I am not mistaken my serial 9151393, it's on the lens hood not on the lens itself that makes it between 1970-75 so probably about 40 years old.

Btw that lens hood is really big Very Happy It's the same size as the lens itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that the ring that holds the adapter to the P6 mount operates in reverse direction; clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten.