Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil BV Tele Quinar 200mm f 4.5 preset M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Steinheil BV Tele Quinar 200mm f 4.5 preset M42 Reply with quote

First of all I'm new to this forum and to MF lenses - I only own a few.
I'm hoping to find some help for opening the aperture section of this lens. Mine has a loose aperture ring (not the preset ring) and the blades are a little dirty(not oil). I've managed to open the rear part , but I don't know how to take apart the rings in order to reach the blades and see what's wrong with the aperture ring. For me the optics are good enough, so any help will be appreciated.

Thank's

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty rare lens. Without some photos on taken on different angles, it will be difficult to evaluate where to start.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Steinheil BV Tele Quinar 200mm f 4.5 preset M42 Reply with quote

I've already reassembled it, because the kids we're very interested with the internals of the lens. Reaching the helicoid was easy - just 4 screws on the focusing ring and uncrewing of the barrel, there is no safety lock - but I'm guessing that I'll have to unscrew the rear lens and remove the helicoid if I want to get to the aperture mechanics and for that I need a lens spanner which I don't have right now. Like I said I'm a beginner, even though I'm an IT hardware technician, I hesitate in taking apart optical elements; laptops, tablets, phones dont't have much high precision glass inside ... Your advice?

Anyway these are some pictures of it assembled - still a beginner in photography Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty good at repairing notebooks when I am an IT hardware technician. Depend on the type of lens, repairing lenses could be more difficult than laptops or tablets.

Loose aperture ring may be fixed by tight the little screw on it most of the time. If the lens design of this BV Tele Quinar is similar to older chrome Tele Quinar http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_stei200_45.htm , You should be able to access the aperture by removing the single cemented rear element. Buy a lens spanner if you will disassemble more lens in the future.

If the lens is still fully functional, I will leave it as it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Design seems similar with the one we suggested, but I don't think if the front and rear optical blocks can be separated just by unscrewing. Unfortunately I don't understand the text in the link you provided - google translation is messed up; the text corresponding to the fifth picture it will be interesting for me .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The text in the fifth photo means "The (whole) lens block can be unscrewed with little force".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try after the spanner tool arrival (ordered one today). Maybe untill then I'll find more info about this lens.

Very kind of you to help with the translation. Thank's !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lucca1x,

did the repair work out?

I just seem to have purchased one of those rare BV Tele-Quinars on ebay.
The only information I could get was from your posts here and two or three ebay listings showing the BV-Tele-Quinar for Minolta MD or Canon FD mount:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinheil-BV-Tele-Quinar-4-5-200mm-for-Canon-FD-Rare-/271140313392
http://www.ebay.de/itm/RARITAT-Steinheil-Muenchen-BV-Tele-Quinar-4-5-200-fuer-Minolta-MD-200mm-f-4-5-/131139911448

I would love to see some photos taken with it...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also wondering what BV stands for...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a photo taken with it on a 350D with extension tubes
http://www.makro-forum.de/fpost22946.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to re-grease the helicoid and focus ring. Focus is ok now. The other problem is that the aperture ring seems a little bit to loose ( I don't even know if it should not be like this..). I've decided to leave it like it is. I can live with that, it's not such a big problem.
Didn't used it to much but from a beginner POV is a good lens and it looks good.
I have to look for the images taken with it; the problem is that I didn't realize how important is to organize the photos especially when you use a 50mm f/1.4 adapter on more lenses Sad .
I'm sure that this crop was taken with Steinheil - it was my first moon shoot, handheld ISO 200 , 1/400, f/4.5, corrected in LR with default sharpening-25.

I don't know if is good or not but I like it Smile. It is enough for 200mm.

I also wonder what BV stands for. At first I thought that the "V" is for "Vergütung" which I think is german for coating (among other meanings), but I couldn't find a reasonable meaning for the "B"; another version that cross my mind it was Bavaria Verein (bavarian group) , than I stopped thinking about it as my german is not that good and these are just some pointless guesses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that sample! As far as I can tell it looks good to me.

I know what you mean with organizing the photos taken with manual lenses. Looking at my photos I can't always tell which manual lens I used and at what aperture...

V standing for "Vergütung" seems very plausible to me...maybe its "Bayerische Vergütung" which would mean "Bavarian Coating" Very Happy

I found three other Steinheil BV-lenses.
The BV-Cassarit 3,5/100, the BV-Culmigon 3,5/35 and the BV-Cassarit 3,8/135. For the last one I could not find anything but a sell-entry in the german dslr-forum, but to me thats evidence for its existance Wink
Considering the same looks I guess that 'BV' seems to have been a small short time series..

Does anyone know a Steinheil expert who can tell anything more about these lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, can you tell how many aperture blades the Tele Quinar has?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy has 6 blades. Disappointed ? Smile.

About establishing the production date, one of the forum members was kind enough to set a time period : http://forum.mflenses.com/two-lenses-info-needed-t64569.html
I remember that I have searched for more info at the time and placed my copy of the lens in 1968-1969.
There is also a publication mentioned in that post but I could´t find it; if you will... I´m interested too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for dozens of blades Very Happy

If I find any more information I will let you know. At the weekend maybe I stop by at a local camera store that sells tons of old lenses. Maybe they can support some facts.

My parcel came yesterday but I was at work...same situation today. Hopefuly they can hand it to one of my neighbors today...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, so my Tele-Quinar arrived today and I am really excited about it.
Its in good shape as far as I can judge. Lenses are clear, the body has some scratches and flaws but nothing serious.
The aperture blades are fine, nothing loose, nothing stuck, all smooth, all good. I tried a little and the rear aperture ring gets kind of loose when you turn the front aperture ring to any other aperture than f4.5 - but it gets only loose between the chosen aperture and f4.5...
BTW, why are there two aperture rings ? I have never used a lens like that.

I have made a short and dirty test series showing f4.5, f5.6, f8, f11, f22 and f33.
I will upload in the next post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the samples. I was focusing on the top windows of the half-timber house.
The photos are jpegs straight out of my NEX-6 at ISO100, image settings were set to neutral, WB 6900K, no in camera or post sharpening. No in camera or post lens corrections. But I realized that I left Auto DRO Optimization on...

To my eyes the sharpness looks really good, even at f4.5. I must search harder to find differences between f4.5 and smaller apertures.. In the top corners I can see chromatic aberrations.

f4.5

f5.6

f8

f11

f16

f22

f33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the aperture rings: this kind of aperture control is called ¨preset¨ and it works something like this for this steinheil: rotating the preset ring - the one closer to the front lens, sets the min aperture you´ll shoot at; the second ring is the actual aperture ring, the one that changes the iris opening. If you only set the aperture on preset ring and don´t rotate the aperture ring the blades won´t move from previous position. Set the desired aperture on the preset ring ex. f/8, focus -you are probably focusing at f/4.5 , rotate the aperture ring anti-clockwise (from a shooting position pov) until little resistance is met-now you have reached the preset limit f/8 and the iris is closed at f/8, shoot.

It´s harder to explain then using it. Smile

PS:I saw now that you are duplicating posts, so if I can answer other questions I will post them in the general manual focus topic you have opened. I think it will be better this way as this topic is for care and repair and our lenses are "operational" Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean its harder to explain than actually using it. I thought of something like a preset plus control ring too. Good to know that its meant to be that way.

About the samples: I am sure I shot at different apertures. I had the camera mounted on a tripod and visually checked the aperture closing down. Wink
Shutter speed was 1/6th of a second or so in the first sample @f4.5. At f8 it was about a second and at f33 it was 10 seconds - it was getting dark. Maybe the in-camera DRO decreases differences. But you can see more buildings appear sharper with smaller apertures due to larger DoF (Focus was not at Infinitiy).

I will try to shoot some more tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the shutter speed on flicker after posting my reply Smile. I than edited my reply (not a good practice I'll say now).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright Wink then let's move over to the dedicated thread now for further talking about the BV-Tele-Quinar.
I should have thought of it earlier.. Would have made it easier plus no double postings as well...Very Happy (not a good practice either Smile)

for those interested, here's the link: http://forum.mflenses.com/what-lens-is-this-steinheil-bv-tele-quinar-200-4-5-t66518.html