Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help in correcting focusing point of a Telomar 5/400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Need help in correcting focusing point of a Telomar 5/400 Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

my name is Artur, located in Germany.

Some time ago I modified a Minolta MD - Fuji X (X-E2) adapter to use Zeiss Ikon Icarex BM lenses.
Especially my Skoparex 3.4/35 and the Ultron 1.8/50

Last days I bought a lens turbo and modified it to for my lenses, too.
I'm still impressed by this focal reducer. The pictures are still sharp, the colors are great and no damage on the bokeh.

Yesterday I took out the Telomar 5/400 for moon pictures and recognize that I can't focus it to infinity.
Even objects 300-500 meters away are out of focus.

The problem is definitely not at the adapter and not at the modified lens turbo, because I can focus to infinity with all other lenses I have for this bajonet (Skoparex, Ultron, Dynarex 3.4/90 and Super Dynarex 4/135)

Does somebody know how I can fix the Zeiss Telomar?

Sincerely,
Artur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you modify the Lens Turbo?
Does the old adapter still give you sharp pictures with the Telomar?
If it does then something else is happening with the optics, an incompatibility.
If not, then its possible the focus ring(or something) may have slipped

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
How did you modify the Lens Turbo?
Does the old adapter still give you sharp pictures with the Telomar?

I took off the MD ring, drilled new holes with M2 thread fitting the original bajonet ring (I dismounted it from an broken Icarex cam), machined the original ring (took off ~1.6mm), assembled it, filled the gaps with dark grey glue and glued in a small part for the aperture pin.
And yes the pictures are sharp.

Only with the 2x converter I could see a blue spot in the middle, but I don't use it with the lens turbo.

But no problems with other lenses.

I will check the focus ring, as soon as I'm back at home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blue spot in the center is possibly a reflection between a flat rear element and the camera sensor. It's often seen on flat element lenses like the Tamron 90 / 2.5.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

The ring was not sitting on the right position.
Thanks again, I fixed it!

Here is a 100% crop of the Zeiss Telomar 5/400 on a Fuji X-E1, only the colors were modified, no sharpening:

The same moon with lens turbo, 100% crop, no sharpening:

And finally, what I was looking for (400 with 2x converter on an empty adapter 400*2*1.5=1200mm ) no sharpening:

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Modified Adapter and Lens Turbo for Icarex BM Lenses Reply with quote

If somebody is interested in dimensions:
Radius of the screws is 58mm
The angles between the screws are 66° on the top / 87° left and right / 120° at the bottom
If you have an adapter for MD-Lenses and a ring from a Icarex camera, just machine 1.5-1.6 mm of the inner side of the ring and try to focus to infitity.

Here are some results of Aapter with a lens hood, Lens Turbo and both, just to see:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArturT wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

The ring was not sitting on the right position.
Thanks again, I fixed it!

Very Happy

Glad you found the problem. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Attaching Icarex Ultron to Fuji X Reply with quote

Great seeing how you attached the Icarex lenses to the X-E1! I just ordered a pair of adapters to do this and I don't think it will require alterations to the lens or adapter: Icarex to EOS EF + EOS EF to Fuji X. I'll post pix once I have this put together.