Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where do you store your lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Where do you store your lenses? Reply with quote

I was curious where you guys store your lenses. I don't have anything super old, most of my glass dates from early seventies through nineties but I do have some larger lenses from the sixties. I've read about radioactivity and don't have anything on the lists, with the exception of the Minolta 58 1.2. I had all my lenses on shelves in my bedroom about three feet from my bed. I am not someone who is worried about radioactivity, there are sources all around us, but I figured why take the chance and moved it into a spare bedroom.

So where do you store your lenses, and is the potential of thorium etc a consideration?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could die any day (not that I am sick, just saying) and don't have much storage room, so the lenses are in boxes in the bedroom,and in the dining room in a cabinet. Do I worry about radioactive lenses...No, do I know which ones are radioactive..No...do I care (not being rude) No,not really. I find it interesting more than a concern.

The amount of xrays over my lifetime would be cause for more concern than any lens. However dropping a lens on your foot would cause more pain and discomfort than their radiation.. Laughing especially those Russians.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Mo. Honestly I don't worry about it much either. I was curious if others did. I moved them as much to keep the bedroom from looking like a camera shop as I did concern.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned about the radioactivity of your smoke detectors.

Yes, they are radioactive. They contain americium-241.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly an interesting topic, but it's one of those topics that is up to the individual to solve....and can so easily fall off the rails into some "interesting" and heated discussions. I believe there may be a few threads already on the forum about this very subject...it's finding them that's hard. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the conclusion we came to last time was simply not to store them on your nuts. er.. well on your genitals.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humid enviroment in Your bedroom will be a much greater risk for Your lens than its radioactivity to You! Mention the loss of weight each night and caused by bed activty lost sweat!
So I do not store lenses in my bedroom.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, a member of our forum who stores his lenses on a bookshelf which towards house's window in order to receive sunlight. Someone told me do not store lenses in dark area, because it causes fungus's development.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I store them in a metal locker with silica gel inside, lenses with caps on (well, most of them) and periodically take them out and dust them.
Basically fungus needs dark, dust and humidity to grow, controlling at least one of the three will greatly reduce the possibilities.
Transparent plastic boxes are a good choice too.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I store them in a metal locker with silica gel inside, lenses with caps on (well, most of them) and periodically take them out and dust them.

Mine is a wooden cabinet with glass sliding doors (so i can all see them Smile)
silica, caps, i keep them clean and keep the cabinet dust free...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your lenses? Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
I've read about radioactivity

There are 3 kinds of radioactive emissions: alpha, beta, and gamma radiation.

Thoriated lenses emit only alpha radiation which is 100% safe (unless ingested) and stopped by even a thin layer of your skin. It's also stopped easily by plastic, glass, or pretty much any other matter. Usually it's the rear element that is thoriated; the lens elements in front and the metal on the sides stop all radiation in those directions and they only emit toward the rear. Now with a plastic rear lens cap or mounted camera body, there is zero radiation leaking out through that side either.

Dangerous radioactivity is all beta and gamma radiation which can penetrate matter and cause radiation sickness and cancer. These are the kinds of radiation you should be worried about. Thoriated lenses emit none of that.

So you don't need to worry about separating them.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use organizers from tool store, just added soft inlay. Some silica-gel bags inside and no front caps, so I can find the lens I want even without opening the organizer. Keep them next to me at work, don't really care about radiation.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piktuolis wrote:
I use organizers from tool store, just added soft inlay. Some silica-gel bags inside and no front caps, so I can find the lens I want even without opening the organizer. Keep them next to me at work, don't really care about radiation.

Ex++ system ,i use something similar!!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piktuolis wrote:

I have mine all over the house in various boxes but I like this system - what is this organiser called?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toto wrote:
I have mine all over the house in various boxes but I like this system - what is this organiser called?

http://www.mano.com.tr/en/urunler_org-24-organizerler-dlqpt.html

It's big enough, sturdy enough and cheap enough (sale price ~8 Eur).

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that link - can't seem to find a European/UK supplier of them and it looks like you cannot buy from them direct. Will do a further search and post here if anything comes up.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those organizers are very cool.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/storing-lenses-t812.html

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your lenses? Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
kenetik wrote:
I've read about radioactivity

There are 3 kinds of radioactive emissions: alpha, beta, and gamma radiation.

Thoriated lenses emit only alpha radiation which is 100% safe (unless ingested) and stopped by even a thin layer of your skin.
Dangerous radioactivity is all beta and gamma radiation which can penetrate matter and cause radiation sickness and cancer. These are the kinds of radiation you should be worried about. Thoriated lenses emit none of that.

So you don't need to worry about separating them.

Thorium lenses emit plenty of gamma rays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouLbDd3YOTA&list=UUTZ_OzAfM5VJf_SHyYzAMUw), although the gamma radiation a few feet away from the lens is small compared to other sources, and most people don't worry about it.

I keep all my radioactive lenses in a room far from where I spend lots of time, inside a sealed food container with silica gel canisters inside to keep the humidity down. Non-radioactive lenses are also kept in food containers, but not in a far-away room.