Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Rare - Or Super-Lucky Seller
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Super Rare - Or Super-Lucky Seller Reply with quote

This lens has just recently sold.
It was not cheap.
Was the seller very lucky, or is this lens really that rare?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141290561365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen one before.

Two pieces of hype come into play here - the Tomioka myth and a 1.2 aperture.

It is bound to have gone to Asia where it will be used to make lots of 'bokeh' pictures wide open. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "mythical" Tomioka - the M42 version with "Tomioka" written around the front element - is rather overpriced but that price isn't all that unusual (it's on the high end of the price range though). The same lens is also sold as Chinon and Revuenon (always with "Tomioka" on the lens), I had the Revuenon version a while ago.

I don't know where the hype is coming from, mine wasn't very impressive. IQ is similar to the later 55/1.2's from Porst and Revuenon but those have better coatings. My Minolta 58/1.2 is way better...

Mine sold for 400€ which is a lot more than I paid and a lot more than anyone should ever pay for this lens.

If you find one for a low price: buy it, then SELL IT
If you find one for a high price: PASS

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the seller was lucky,it looks like a nice lens (purely going by its looks) but too much for me to try it and see how it actually performs.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined this bidding but was thrown away, I think the price is too high: I'd rather choose a Hexaon 57/1.2 to instead. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Maybe I should sell mine after all?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have paid $500 tops, IF I was still shooting film on my M42 bodies but Im not.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
Hmm. Maybe I should sell mine after all?

If you can get $800, its time to sell indeed.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The condition seems really nice. As such quite a collectors item.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, looking at ebay sold listings, I see lens sold for 3-4x price, than their current retail price is (new lens, currently in production). So I think this is sort of money laundering....

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will pay silly prices at auction if the item is reasonably hard to come by and has a reputation (even if they're not necessarily that great). For example I sold my two smaller 300mm mirror lenses recently and brought in nearly £200 each for them Shocked (Not my Rubinar though!). I'm likely sell some of my "shelf" classics soon for the same reason.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a Yashinon 55mm F1.2 for $833 Shocked instead of a Sigma Art 50mm F1.4, is more or less like buying a used 1972 VW Beetle for about the same price of a brand new 2014 Mercedes S600. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Buying a Yashinon 55mm F1.2 for $833 Shocked instead of a Sigma Art 50mm F1.4, is more or less like buying a used 1972 VW Beetle for about the same price of a brand new 2014 Mercedes S600. Mr. Green

People do that, the Beetle has a special status among aficionados. Old VW camper vans also sell for insane prices.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Gerald wrote:

People do that, the Beetle has a special status among aficionados. Old VW camper vans also sell for insane prices.

This one must be worth a small fortune
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Gerald wrote:

This one must be worth a small fortune
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

that van looks pregnant.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must the Kombi beetle blend,nice capture OH. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today find one Chinon version of this lens on EvilBay, the sale price is US$ 1600+......if I were the buyer I will not buy it spending more than USD350, haha. Laughing