Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 200mm F4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: SMC Takumar 200mm F4 Reply with quote

Hello,
I recently got this beauty for a song although it has quite alot of fungus. Something that will be getting cleaned.
From what i've read about this lens it seems mediocre at best but have found it to be quite a nice piece of glass.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens,love the bird shot.Hey, is this a father and son team thing happening? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Takumar 200mm F4 Reply with quote

BeardsAreBest wrote:
Hello,
I recently got this beauty for a song although it has quite alot of fungus. Something that will be getting cleaned.
From what i've read about this lens it seems mediocre at best but have found it to be quite a nice piece of glass.

I read some bad reviews about it too, but I find it quite strange.
For me, it is a very solid and consistent performer. It is not perfect, obviously, but to clearly outperform this lens a very expensive one is needed, so I don't really see reasons for blaming it. If you add to that the usual outstanding build quality of takumars of the era, you end up with an incredibly good tool that can be had for extremely little money.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Takumar 200mm F4 Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
BeardsAreBest wrote:
Hello,

I read some bad reviews about it too, but I find it quite strange.
For me, it is a very solid and consistent performer. It is not perfect, obviously, but to clearly outperform this lens a very expensive one is needed, so I don't really see reasons for blaming it. If you add to that the usual outstanding build quality of takumars of the era, you end up with an incredibly good tool that can be had for extremely little money.

Thanks for putting things in proper perspective about this lens.

Nice shots too, BeardsAreBest.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mine, it's plenty sharp and has good colours, it flares a lot - I don't point it at the sun.. I guess it's not a popular lens because it is a bit slow, speed matters to a lot of people, and my other 200's are 3.5's - but it doesn't make them better.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha more like the Master and his apprentice. Mo.
Learning alot from him and loving the new old gear.
Also a thanks to the peeps on here.
So much knowledge. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't see much difference between Takumar and Pentacon 200mm f/4 and I kept only the latter.