Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discussion about film in general
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Discussion about film in general Reply with quote

Hi
I have been spenting the previous days on looking on flickr collections for specific films. In the color films is very weird to see the very huge differences. For the color shots there are some very very good colors and sharpness (close to what a digital camera can do) but there are also other options where colors look washed out and memories from 80s come back.

What is going on?

Alex

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mm and every digital shot is perfect Wink

This is what happens when you over expose film by about 6 stops, use a 80mm lens without a tripod for about 2 sec shutter speed, and let the AF lens focus on fairly fast moving cars Laughing so do I win a prize for the worst shot you have seen Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three main factors:

1. The film itself, not all films are created equal, the consumer grade cheap stuff is sometimes not very good, and if you add in the fact that a lot of the film people shoot today is expired and not stored well thenit opens up much scope for poor colours, excess grain etc.

2. The photographer. Some people just aren't very skilled and if you are using an older film camera with less automation, less accurate metering etc then the lack of skill becomes more apparent. Also, a lot of people who shoot film these days are doing it because they actually want an old, 1970s/80s look with less than good quality, you can largely thank those Austrians who founded LOMOgraphy for this annoying fashion.

3. The processing. Some labs do a better job than others, some change their chemicals frequently, some don't, some have good operators for their machines, some don't. Inaccurate colours and other issues can be fixed in post processing, but not everyone bothers or does it well.

If you know what you're doing and do the job properly, the results from film can be very good indeed.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commenting on Ian's post above I agree with all of it but point number three to me is the most important. You can have the best film, expose accurately and everything. But it all goes to crap if the lab isn't up to it.

To me the lab is the biggest factor. When I used to do weddings and stuff on film, I used Kodacolor 2 (an amateur film) all the time and got pretty good results when processed at my favourite camera shop minilab. But when I took them to a Pro lab - my God the difference! They were bright, contrasty and had vivid colours. Too much for a wedding or portraits. I got them reprinted by hand so the colours were more muted.

I began to realise that the shop lab wasn't as good as I'd thought. When I gave them a roll of professional film (can't remember which) the prints were flat and muddy, and not much better when re-done at the pro lab because the film had been developed in over used chemicals..

Have a look for professional labs