Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uncommon 12 cm f/4.5 Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan - Exakta
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Uncommon 12 cm f/4.5 Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan - Exakta Reply with quote

HI all,

Thought you might be interested in this really interesting Meyer Gorlitz 12 cm f/4.5 Trioplan. It seems to me to be early, possibly pre-war, and is mounted in a very well made brass barrel plated in heavy chrome. The focus and aperture are incredibly smooth, with an almost circular 12 bladed diaphragm.

I just got it today, so I only had time to shoot a few garden close-ups after work. I used it on a Sony A7 with adapter and short extension tube. I wanted to see if it had that Trioplan look and bokeh. I am quite impressed with it so far. I'll shoot some general photos tomorrow if the weather holds.

Below are shots of the lens and a few flowers.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, but your WB seems to be quite off (?)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images! Warm WB i like.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! The WB is all me. I readjusted it in post (Adobe Camera Raw) to my liking here at home. I usually set the WB in ACR to about 5500 degrees and then tweak the tint slider towards the magenta.

I will take a look at them today on another monitor. Perhaps this monitor here isn't calibrated as well as I thought!

The general photo shots I take today I will leave alone in post so you can see the WB coming direct from the A7 raw file with the camera set to cloudy.

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some general photos from today taken with the Trioplan. All shots were taken on the A7 at f/4.5, cloudy color balance. There are two 100% crops at the bottom.

The seller of this lens described it like thusly:

Made , pre-war model. Serial number 982210 very early

Massive brass barrel. 5 elements in 4 groups.

Non-coated glass.

If true, I never would have thought that a TRIoplan would have anything but 3 elements! I haven't been able to find a reliable source for a lens diagram to prove one way or the other.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:

If true, I never would have thought that a TRIoplan would have anything but 3 elements! I haven't been able to find a reliable source for a lens diagram to prove one way or the other.

Hi Paul,

Interesting lens. According to Arthur Cox, the Meyer Trioplan is a triplet:

http://forum.mflenses.com/list-of-classic-triplets-and-derivatives-tessar-sonnar-t65432,highlight,%2Btriplets+%2Bderivatives.html

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
pdccameras wrote:

Hi Paul,

Interesting lens. According to Arthur Cox, the Meyer Trioplan is a triplet:

http://forum.mflenses.com/list-of-classic-triplets-and-derivatives-tessar-sonnar-t65432,highlight,%2Btriplets+%2Bderivatives.html

Thanks for the great info.

Barring evidence from a complete dissassembly, the lens elements take up only a small part of the total length of the lens as shown in the photo below. That, along with the position of the diagphragm as evidenced by the location of the knurled aperture adjustment ring, would suggest a triplet as well.