Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for cheapest M42. Mounts not lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Looking for cheapest M42. Mounts not lenses. Reply with quote

There are many adapters from M42 to XY camera available. But i need cheap, thin M42 mounts.
Ebay search is quite impossible because you cannot exclude wrong results. I was already considering
M42 rings but they'd needed to be cut for my purpose. Plus they don't have the wider side like adapters have it.

Did anyone stumble upon something useful?

Last edited by Pancolart on Mon May 19, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want the physical mount from a camera?

Surely a cheap broken Zenit would be the ticket?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
you want the physical mount from a camera?

Surely a cheap broken Zenit would be the ticket?

No, no. The opposite. Lens mount.
Just found this image to give the idea:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would maybe check local camera repair shops to see if they have some unrepairable m42 lenses lying around. I normally buy up the broken lenses down here for that reason and nobody is willing to bid on broken lenses so I get them cheap!! or if you know a metal/engineering shop they could do it for you easily.

Whats The project you want them for?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not easy to understand but maybe now I understood, and is something I also looked for....
Some time ago I was able to find a step-up-down ring M42 - 52mm, that was explicitly told to be 42x1. Vendor was jinfinance on Ebay, but I do not see the same ring again among its products. However, this should be the same: http://www.ebay.it/itm/52mm-to-42mm-52-42-M42-Filter-Adapter-Ring-/400433618548?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item5d3bb41e74&_uhb=1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need M42 reversal adapters for reverse mounting lenses by their filter threads. ebay has them.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
It was not easy to understand but maybe now I understood, and is something I also looked for....
Some time ago I was able to find a step-up-down ring M42 - 52mm, that was explicitly told to be 42x1. Vendor was jinfinance on Ebay, but I do not see the same ring again among its products. However, this should be the same: http://www.ebay.it/itm/52mm-to-42mm-52-42-M42-Filter-Adapter-Ring-/400433618548?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item5d3bb41e74&_uhb=1

I think not. It seems to have M42 on the inner side.

Layer-cake wrote:
I would maybe check local camera repair shops to see if they have some unrepairable m42 lenses lying around. I normally buy up the broken lenses down here for that reason and nobody is willing to bid on broken lenses so I get them cheap!! or if you know a metal/engineering shop they could do it for you easily. Whats The project you want them for?

Too expensive and they need to be thin and preferably uniform. Lens adaptation is the project.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You need M42 reversal adapters for reverse mounting lenses by their filter threads. ebay has them.

Thank's Ian this is indeed closest match though possibly expensive due to other side mount which is not needed. Plus thick.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am not perfectly certain what you are seeking. Seems as if you might be wanting to convert lenses with other mounts to m42.

Anyway, a T2 to m42 adapter will give you an m42 male thread. They are not too expensive (circa 5 bucks) and are readily available on eBay, albeit from China. Perhaps just the insert (readily removable) from such an adapter might do you?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
enzodm wrote:

I think not. It seems to have M42 on the inner side.

Well, I interpreted "lens mount" differently from you, however there is also the vice versa:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/42mm-p-1-0-to-52mm-Step-Ring-for-M42-/400458800434?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item5d3d345d32&_uhb=1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example of the reversal ring:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Macro-Coupler-Reverse-Ring-42mm-1-0mm-M42-to-46mm-/360422781937?pt=UK_Photography_Adapter_Rings&hash=item53eadf33f1

Not sure why they are this much, the Canon EOS and Nikon ones are less than half the price. The EOS and Nikon ones are much thinner too, I used a few of both to change the mount on unusable lenses before and they are only 1-1.5mm or so thick.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What diameter and thickness you need?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Something like this Click here to see on Ebay.de , a 42mm to 77mm coupling ring or a 42mm 77mm step up ring would give you a nice big flat metal surface to work with, if that is what you need. Not sure whether the 42mm ring I linked to is 42x1.0 though, check before you buy anything similar.

If you can be more specific about what you need these mounts for, Pancolart, we can be more specific in our suggestions. If flat metal surfaces is what you need, Cokin filter adapters have proven useful to me. I haven't found any in M42 though.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for cheapest M42. Mounts not lenses. Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
There are many adapters from M42 to XY camera available. But i need cheap, thin M42 mounts.
Ebay search is quite impossible because you cannot exclude wrong results. I was already considering
M42 rings but they'd needed to be cut for my purpose. Plus they don't have the wider side like adapters have it.

Did anyone stumble upon something useful?

It might be helpful if you let us know what you're trying to adapt from/to.

Thinnest M42 male thread adapter is the M39-M42 "helicoil" type. It consists only of the threads themselves, inner M39, outer M42. But I suspect you will say this is "too thin". In this case there are somewhat similar adapters for M39-M42 that also include anywhere from 1mm to 3mm of flange on the M39 side.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projector lens + barrel + M42 mount.

Ian and Enzo these are both interesting options, thanks.

@Calvin: my thinest adapter is M42/Nikon and is around 1.2mm. I'd like something similar.
Wide, flat side diameter around 5.5-6cm.

@dickb and Ray: i'll dig into those step up/down adapters and filters, they are cheap indeed.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is to modify body cap for M42 body to M42 mount
There are body caps from metal or PVC

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great suggestion, body caps might be best and should be cheapest:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xm42+body+cap&_nkw=m42+body+cap&_sacat=0&_from=R40

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use reversing rings for all sorts of projects including modifying mounts. They are usually 1mm thick and the filter thread can be sawn off. I have modded an OM lens to Nikon using one of these and there is plenty to file off if you want thinner. Reversing rings cost a few pounds only and even the wide ring can be cut off is necessary.

If you want M42 consider an M39 to M42 ring. Thin and nothing else this costs a pound post paid. Is this small and cheap enough?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are something similar to your need with 1 or 1.5mm thickness but I do not know the quantity and price you need. It can cost roughly $8 if you just want one or two.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-AF / Sony to M42 are as thin as they get

only
- some (hama "Mi 7000") are a bit too thick and
- you can't get them in quantity for 1 buck, trade is rare

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought various M42 to Sony Alpha adapters on ebay. Thickness varied from 0.6mm to 1.4mm.

Another idea is to visit local metal workshop, order them large tube with m42 thread on it, and cut it according to requirements.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah again useless advice cause I didn't read well enough. I am sorry. MAF adapter is, of course, M42 camera part not lens part.

Cannbalising YS is not such a good idea either, they are thicker, and worth more than whole lenses

T2 to M42 yes

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across an interesting seller offering all kinds of m42 adapters. This one seems to offer a nice flange to work with:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
I just came across an interesting seller offering all kinds of m42 adapters. This one seems to offer a nice flange to work with:

Splendid. This is it.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
dickb wrote:

Splendid. This is it.

Glad to hear it. Please show the resulting adaptation work, always nice to see how other people tackle such projects.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It seems they just made it not long ago with reasonable price.