Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Has anyone tried Speed booster with MF lens on full frame?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Has anyone tried Speed booster with MF lens on full frame? Reply with quote

I guess this could work with Sony A7 FF camera. With the 1.5x wider aspect from the medium format lens to FF sensor

eg Hasselblad to EOS mount converter to EOS/NEX speed booster, or other combinations possible.

I dont have a SB or an A7 but maybe someone does and can tell.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the point?

Big, heavy, slow glass that isn't any better than smaller, lighter, faster 35mm alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Like big heavy glass :LOL

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid the Speed Booster doesn't cover the FF format...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are "special cases".

What about a Zeiss Sonnar 180/2.8 ? This could turn it into a 135mm f/2, more or less, and probably a better one than any 135/2 before the modern era.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

Dont forget it is working with a much larger image circle to begin with

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

What about a Zeiss Sonnar 180/2.8 ? This could turn it into a 135mm f/2, more or less, and probably a better one than any 135/2 before the modern era.

yes, there are other nice examples too

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
Gerald wrote:

Then let me put it another way: the Speed ​​Booster was not designed to work with a large image circle as produced by a MF lens. The vignetting and off-axis aberrations will be horrible.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
JohnBar wrote:
Gerald wrote:

Then let me put it another way: the Speed ​​Booster was not designed to work with a large image circle as produced by a MF lens. The vignetting and off-axis aberrations will be horrible.

Show me Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Might be cheaper to buy a modern 135/2 Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
Gerald wrote:
JohnBar wrote:
Gerald wrote:

Show me Smile

Don't believe me! Go ahead. If I'm right you will lose $500 but you will learn something. Laughing

Seriously, Speed ​​Booster barely covers the APS-C format, as can be seen in the corner of the picture by a NEX-6:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2667195592/first-impressions-metabones-speed-booster

From there you can imagine how bad the edges and corners of an FF image will be. Remember that the FF format is much larger than APS-C.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they would need a version specific to a FF sensor. Bigger glass.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
JohnBar wrote:
Gerald wrote:
JohnBar wrote:
Gerald wrote:

Show me Smile

Don't believe me! Go ahead. If I'm right you will lose $500 but you will learn something. Laughing

Seriously, Speed ​​Booster barely covers the APS-C format, as can be seen in the corner of the picture by a NEX-6:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2667195592/first-impressions-metabones-speed-booster

From there you can imagine how bad the edges and corners of an FF image will be. Remember that the FF format is much larger than APS-C.

I remain to be convinced that a SB has a fixed image circle.

If someone has the components to test then the truth will out Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they would need a version specific to a FF sensor. Bigger glass.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone try this on another forum with the black one with red writing. They shot video and it vignettes like crazy, and doesn't provide good results.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same question, then I found this information on Metabones website:

Speed Booster® is NOT fully compatible with full-frame Sony A7, A7R or NEX-VG900. When Speed Booster® is used with Sony A7 or A7R, the camera will turn on the "APS-C Size Capture" mode automatically.

But I hope they will make other versions for full frame cameras.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I was referring to China made lens turbo, poor man's speed booster. I would be interested in seeing a FF version too. Is the thing vivitar made way back when, the Macro focusing teleconvertor, similar to this in concept or is that just an extension tube?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Of course I was referring to China made lens turbo, poor man's speed booster. I would be interested in seeing a FF version too. Is the thing vivitar made way back when, the Macro focusing teleconvertor, similar to this in concept or is that just an extension tube?

The Vivitar is a stationary 2x TC with a helicoid extension tube in front of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some tests with an 114mm Heliar (covering ~ 8x12 cm) with SB on my Linhof. Gerald is right, the Speed Booster doesn't cover FF.
You can see here the image produced by by the Heliar+SB combination (tape mounted and not well centered) on the ground glass:

The GG squares are 1x1 cm.

Last edited by dan_ on Thu May 22, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a custom made speed booster for Kaleinar-3B (150/2.Cool lens. It is M42 mount and should offer 0.45x reduction. It works just fine on NEX-3. I don't have FF digital camera, so I've used that lens with M42 to A mount adapter and tested on Minolta film camera body. Obviously, I was not able to get lens focused, due to different register distances, but there was no noticeable vignetting in viewfinder. So in general, this idea seems to be not that bad.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
I did some tests with an 114mm Heliar (covering ~ 8x12 cm) with SB on my Linhof. Gerald is wright, the Speed Booster doesn't cover FF.
You can see here the image produced by by the Heliar+SB combination (tape mounted and not well centered) on the ground glass:

The GG squares are 1x1 cm.

You nailed it, SB proven not to work.

Thanks to all contributors most appreciated.

Special thanks to Gerald for being persistently correct Wink