Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Domiplan and Trioplan, same or different?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Domiplan and Trioplan, same or different? Reply with quote

Are these two lenses similar? I have seen the bokeh rings from both lenses and they do look much alike. Is one typically better than the other? Optical formulas same or similar?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are Triplets. I only owned a Domiplan but I think the Trioplan will be better. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are triplets but the Trioplan is a lot better. I have a 2.9/50 Trioplan that is wonderful, it's in Altix mount so I had to make an adapter to us it on my NEX.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Both are triplets but the Trioplan is a lot better. I have a 2.9/50 Trioplan that is wonderful, it's in Altix mount so I had to make an adapter to us it on my NEX.

I have both. Trioplan in 100mm F 2.8 in exakta It is really nice. Soft wide open with delightful Bokeh but nice and sharp at first stop. Some CA issues common with triplets but a real pleasure. The Domiplan is a 50mm f2 ( I think) in M42 I'm at work right now and can't check the F. It SEEMS cheap. I have used it ONCE. I couldn't get a sharp image with evening sun at my back using the 10x on the finder screen on my EOS 60D. Just not sharp even stopped down. It came with a group of stuff so I didn't really care but I feel the rep that Domiplans have is deserved.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll find out because I picked up a Domiplan on the cheap. But the comparison I was looking at was the Trioplan 2.9/50.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiplans are better than their reputation.
Here is one image that I took with a frozen open-apertured Domiplan.
Bokeh is apoplectic, but hey ..........
For some really good images with a Domiplan, look at Wolverine X's examples.
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to prefer the trioplan 50/2.9 but the domiplan isn't that bad either. Trioplan is a sharper in any case
What I don't really like in domiplans is the aperture selector

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiplans are way too cheap Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
I tend to prefer the trioplan 50/2.9 but the domiplan isn't that bad either
What I don't really like in domiplans is the aperture selector

Agreed.
It is a tiny, skinny hard to grip thing that I always miss and hit the focus ring instead.
Best to decide on an aperture and set it before focusing.
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan (50/2.9) has full stop click aperture selector, nor half nor 1/3 click stops

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Trioplan (50/2.9) has full stop click aperture selector, nor half nor 1/3 click stops

Domiplan 1/2 stops
I like that.
OH