Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Primotar or Orestor 135?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Primotar or Orestor 135? Reply with quote

Don't care much about the F difference, which one is best for? And how they compare with the sonnarish Jupiter-11?

Any suggestion? There are many thread on both lenses, but can spot a single one with a direct comparision with both the meyers

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primotar is softer at maximum aperture, has some diffuse glow and has different bokeh. Matter of taste which one prefers I guess, but the Orestor has overall better sharpness and contrast.

A good J11 is better than both.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1968 ltm J-11 is pretty good Wink

You're killing my LBA Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have soooo many 135mms, all good ones, but the J11 is close to the top of the pile, hard not to love the Sonnr rendering. I also have the original Zeiss Sonnar is it copied from, in Contax rf mount, that might be the best of the lot, although my Schneider Tele-Xenar 4/135 is very close, they are very similar designs. The Primotar has distinctive bokeh so if you see one cheap, might be worth a try to see if you like it.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have soooo many 135mms, all good ones, but the J11 is close to the top of the pile, hard not to love the Sonnr rendering. I also have the original Zeiss Sonnar is it copied from, in Contax rf mount, that might be the best of the lot, although my Schneider Tele-Xenar 4/135 is very close, they are very similar designs. The Primotar has distinctive bokeh so if you see one cheap, might be worth a try to see if you like it.

Indeed I love the J11 too
thanks for the advice on primotar Wink

this is what my J-11 can do, hand held with nex on a concert

hi-res one
http://www.telltale.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DSC8981.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both, and sold both when I decided I had too many 135's.
They're very good lenses (the orestor is better imho), but competition is quite tough in the 135mm fl.
I ended up keeping:
RE Auto Topcor 3.5/135,
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/135 (zebra, exakta),
Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 2.8/135 (C/Y),
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 4/135 (contax rf),
Jupiter 11 hand-grenade style (m42),
tair-11 (000-serial, red P, m39)
These are all better - for me - than the two for some reason, be it performance, character or performance/price ratio.