Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zoom Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Zoom Lens Reply with quote

Hello all,

Well I only have one more lens to get. I think something in the range of 28mm to 105mm range would be nice.

I had two Kiron 28-85's in K mount and they both froze up and the apature wouldn't work. So I guess M42 only

I did some reading on the subject and input from you guys has also been very helpful to me so thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoom Lens Reply with quote

Newfie wrote:
Hello all,

Well I only have one more lens to get. I think something in the range of 28mm to 105mm range would be nice.

I had two Kiron 28-85's in K mount and they both froze up and the apature wouldn't work. So I guess M42 only

I did some reading on the subject and input from you guys has also been very helpful to me so thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gavin

Well there is the Kiron 28mm-105mm 3.3-f4.5...but I suppose with your bad luck with Kirons you won't want another. Well if you see one going for say £10 you mind change your mind so just in case:- My Kiron is sharp like most old good zooms, but pixel peeping and a prime is better, and my copy is better at 28mm than 105mm, also I don't know if they make an M42 ver and maybe for you is:- I have no idea how it performs on a digital camera and it's heavy for a Nex.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina AT-X 28-135 if you can find one is a wonderful lens and dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Excalibur for the feedback, much appreciated.

I must have had bad luck as the 28-85 Varifocal is pretty highly rated and the 28-105 even more so.
One of them had a bad case of lens crep as well
Sad Might take a look at the 28-105 again. I will definately try to look at others as well.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

You are a treasure trove of information and you are always there to help. I pay great attention to your posts Very Happy

I will definately take a look at that one.

By the way, I looked up your hometown and it must be a very nice place to live.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Newfie,

Well... I don't think you had bad luck with Kiron 28-85mm, I bought one some time ago which was described as in v.good condition but it had some fungus inside as well as stuck aperture. It is, however quite decent lens to disassemble (there's help from boggys: http://www.boggys.co.uk/page54.html ). I cleaned it clear from fungus and sticky apertures and it worked like charm, but... it was such a crappy lens Wink. I read a lot of good reviews about that lens, before I bought it and it was so so so far away behind the Tamron SP 01A that I sold it almost instantly and was left very disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love Kiron, 70-150/4 is amazing little lens as well Kiron made Viv S1 70-210/3.5, but Kiron 28-85 didn't cut the mustard for me.

The lens I could wholeheartedly recommend is Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 lens. It's in the same league as Tamron SP 01A and it's a little bit wider and longer at both ends. This 28mm instead of 35mm is very useful while using APS-C sensor.
In my opinion, you should hunt Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 or if you're ok with 35mm on the wide edge - Tamron SP 01A 35-80mm/2.8-3.8 - both are great. (To be honest I still prefer Tamron, but it really is not wide enough for APS-C for me).
What's more, both are great on film and have very useful focal ranges as well.

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tokina AT-X 28-85, also very good and very cheap.

You could also look at Tamron Adaptall SP series, with M42 mount easy to adapt! Very well built and optically great lenses!
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/28A.html

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos taken by TrueLoveOne with Tokina AT-X 28-85 made up my mind to buy this lens, but my copy had really bad problems with infinity adjustment. Nevertheless even if I managed to focus this lens proper, results were really mediocre. I think, however, somebody may had tampered with this lens.

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PhantomLord much appreciated and I will take a look for sure

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch TrueLovedOne

I will definately take a look at the adaptalls, I heard they were very decent makers of lenses,

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Hi Newfie,

Well... I don't think you had bad luck with Kiron 28-85mm, I bought one some time ago which was described as in v.good condition but it had some fungus inside as well as stuck aperture. It is, however quite decent lens to disassemble (there's help from boggys: http://www.boggys.co.uk/page54.html ). I cleaned it clear from fungus and sticky apertures and it worked like charm, but... it was such a crappy lens Wink. I read a lot of good reviews about that lens, before I bought it and it was so so so far away behind the Tamron SP 01A that I sold it almost instantly and was left very disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love Kiron, 70-150/4 is amazing little lens as well Kiron made Viv S1 70-210/3.5, but Kiron 28-85 didn't cut the mustard for me.

The lens I could wholeheartedly recommend is Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 lens. It's in the same league as Tamron SP 01A and it's a little bit wider and longer at both ends. This 28mm instead of 35mm is very useful while using APS-C sensor.
In my opinion, you should hunt Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 or if you're ok with 35mm on the wide edge - Tamron SP 01A 35-80mm/2.8-3.8 - both are great. (To be honest I still prefer Tamron, but it really is not wide enough for APS-C for me).
What's more, both are great on film and have very useful focal ranges as well.

Cheers
Mateusz

+1 on that.
This lens is made by Komine and is truly excellent.
OH