Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Short tele prime for my minolta
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Short tele prime for my minolta Reply with quote

Hi all,
it is me again your lovely spammer of the forum. I find that my street photography some times requires some times a bit of fast tele lens. The fastest I have is the 50 1.7 and then I have a zoom minolta that goes to 85mm but is slow with aperture of 5.6
I am looking for a bargain of a short tele from 60-90 that has though a fasty aperture that can work directly with my minolta film camera.

Is there something like that in this world?

Alex

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85/2 and 85/1.7 rokkors are both great, imho, not cheap but good and fast 85's are always expensive.
a different option could be the Viv Series 1 35/85 f2.8: I had it for a while and I remember it as quite good.
It has a very usable range on FF, it's way cheaper than the 85mm primes (obviously not as good) it's well built (and heavy) the constant f2.8 is nice, and it is available in minolta mount, iirc.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the other prime focal lengths? likes 75mm or 90mm or do not know something between those two?

Alex

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put M42 lenses on a Minolta SR mount if you find an adapter, that will give you a few good choices. The obvious one being the Russian Jupiter-9 2/85. It's a bit soft and glowy at f2 but close it a stop or two and it's fantastic, f4 is the sweet spot with that lens and the best aperture for street work imho. Another good choice is the Meyer/Pentacon 2.8/100, should be plenty of those at good prices in Germany.

Also consider the Minolta 2.8/135 and 3.5/135, both are great, the 2.8 being a little better then the 3.5 but also more expensive and harder to find but both are cheap for the great quality they offer.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
what about the other prime focal lengths? likes 75mm or 90mm or do not know something between those two?

Alex

Nope, curiously enough I've never had a 75 nor a 90mm prime.
But I know couple of good 100's for minolta: the 2.5/100 and the 3.5/100 macro. Both are less expensive than the 85's.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Tokina 100mm 1:2.8 but dunno that has a M42 adapter

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar series 1 28-90 or Kiron 28-85? Both are 2.8-3.8 I believe. Not a prime, I know, but prices for Rokkor primes between 50 and 135 are borderline insane.

PS. You can get a Tamron 90/2.5. It's a fairly affordable lens, and, in my opinion, undervalued at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
(...)
But I know couple of good 100's for minolta: the 2.5/100 and the 3.5/100 macro. Both are less expensive than the 85's.

I'll second that, the 100/2.5 is a good budget alternative to the 85's. The MD-III "Plain MD" version has the best reputation among the different versions:

Here's some info:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/165-minolta-100mm-f25

You can identify the different versions of Minolta lenses with this list:
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
PS. You can get a Tamron 90/2.5. It's a fairly affordable lens, and, in my opinion, undervalued at the moment.

I second that. Or the earlier Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro, the type before the Series 1 90/2.5. Goes to 1:1 without additional adapters and is still relatively cheap.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would recommend the minolta 100mm f2.5 even though it is a bit longer than you wanted
I love this lens so much
and should be available for reasonable price

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Gardener wrote:

I second that. Or the earlier Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro, the type before the Series 1 90/2.5. Goes to 1:1 without additional adapters and is still relatively cheap.

If you can use a macro or at least close-focus abilities, that would be a good choice too. You'll pay for that in size & weight though, the 100/2.5 (especially the MD-III version) is tiny in comparison. Now, if you could find a Vivitar/Tokina 90/2.5 for the right price...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
dickb wrote:
Gardener wrote:

If you can use a macro or at least close-focus abilities, that would be a good choice too. You'll pay for that in size & weight though, the 100/2.5 (especially the MD-III version) is tiny in comparison. Now, if you could find a Vivitar/Tokina 90/2.5 for the right price...

A quick search of sold lenses shows the Vivitar 90/2.8 selling for anything between 50 euro and 250 euro and even 350 euro for an FD version converted to EF.. It all seems to depend on whether the seller knows he's selling a good lens.