Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens review: Contax/Yashica/Ziess 85mm F2.8 Sonnar T
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Lens review: Contax/Yashica/Ziess 85mm F2.8 Sonnar T Reply with quote

I recently purchased this lens on Ebay and paid too much for it. HA!

Small lightweight and a joy to handle. Mounts nicely on my Sony A7r with a adaptor of course.
The focus and aperture controls are very very smooth and perfectly placed on the lens body. A wonderful design. Very happy with this glass on my Sony E-mount bodies.

The link below is to a set of Images on Photobucket. The first images are 100 percent pixel level crops. This is designed to satisfy the pixel peepers among us. The rest of the images show the fuil image the crop was taken from. Quite startling in some cases.

These images are shot wide open for the most part. I think I like F2.8 primes. Wide open the depth of field is wide enough to be useful and you still get nice smooth blur. Better in fact than faster glass stopped down to F2.8

http://s126.photobucket.com/user/45government/library/CZCY50MMF28

Last edited by Lens Pirate on Mon May 19, 2014 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good little lens. The bokeh is nice and the DOF is shallow enough for head and shoulder portraits shots. I like the size too, having sold mine for a Planar, I may get another to go in my day to day kit with my A7r.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

different lens in the picture......

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, probably the topic title needs to be corrected.
I never heard of a sonnar T* 2.8/50, while I know well the 2.8/85 in the picture.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite 85mm lens.I like most everything about it. Smile