Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens surface polishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Lens surface polishing Reply with quote

Hi, is this Brasso product safe and OK enough to polish mostly surface only or are there any hidden risks (poisons, fumes...) to affect my beloved lenses Very Happy? Or am I gettin' too soft?

I actually find the case in this thread. Carliniphoto, if you are still active - you are god Very Happy!

I'm interested in cleaning metal only, not the cases. Thanks for any word.

Marek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For polishing the aluminium body of the lens Brasso would do the job, but it is a bit thin and could get inside the lens if you are not careful. A better product would be Autosol -

http://www.autosol.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1824

which is a favourite of the custom and classic car collectors. It's a paste and less likely to run inside the lens, and formulated for aluminium.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought your recommended Autosol stuff, got item today, used item today on Primotar and Trioplan, satisfied. (Although it doesn't deal with all those old scares and stains of unknown origin.)

Thanks for advice then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stains will be ingrained in the metal, impossible to shift without removing the surface. The Autosol is good stuff though, I used on motorbike casings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autosol in action Smile (Especially see how Triotar hidden in the back shines on the world)

Five CZ/Meyer lenses in the middle of the photo (+ exa tubes) has been already taken for a cleanup.