Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58 - unusual red marking ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58 - unusual red marking ? Reply with quote

Can anyone enlighten me on the red marking on this lens? It came off of a Pentacon. I have another with the more familiar red T mark to indicate coating quality, but I don't know the meaning of this one. Don't know if the photo I uploaded is showing, but the mark is 1 vertical red line with 3 horizontal red lines of equal length at the top, bottom, and middle.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58 - unusual red marking ? Reply with quote

johnnyjr wrote:
Can anyone enlighten me on the red marking on this lens? It came off of a Pentacon. I have another with the more familiar red T mark to indicate coating quality, but I don't know the meaning of this one. Don't know if the photo I uploaded is showing, but the mark is 1 vertical red line with 3 horizontal red lines of equal length at the top, bottom, and middle.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means your photos will be 3 x better! BAM! Razz

I've never seen that marking sorry. Are we sure its legitimate?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those postwar Biotar are T coated no matter what marking they have.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://photobutmore.de/exakta/zeiss/

some info

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So-called "flying kite"
To prevent trademark problems, the red "T" was altered through importer.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: The "King" Biotar Reply with quote

So-called "flying kite" aka "King" Tessar. To prevent trademark problems, the red "T" was altered through importer.

Because of the trade marks court case Zeiss Jena weren't allowed to mark their multicoating "T”.

During this time, a dispute over the naming rights was conducted between Zeiss West and East. The Fotomagazin reported in number 2/58, page 12-2 on the judgment of the First Civil Senate of the Federal Court of Justice of 24 July 1957. Thereafter, a number of Zeiss brand names were not allowed to be used by the VEB Carl Zeiss Jena in the territory of the Federal Republic and West Berlin , Even before, the manufacturer's information on export lenses was changed in Jena.

Occasionally, export lenses received additional rings engraved with the altered details, and lenses imported during this time can occasionally be found with words like Zeiss or Biotar etc ground out to remove the name. This was done by customs officials at the time because of the trade name dispute between Carl Zeiss in West Germany (Oberkon) and East Germany (Jena).

These practices are why we get oddities such "two-ring lenses", which were supplied with two different manufacturer specifications and production numbers, one over the top of another.

Image: J Lim (Flickr) https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhonilim/33669325983/

Carl Zeiss Jena 1Q Tessar 2.8 / 50 RED King

This time, treasured treasures. Rare in the rare. Carl Zeiss Jena 1Q Tessar is the King of 2.8 / 50.

Usually, it is Red T , but add 2 to T and it is " King ". That's why King Tessar is King Tessar.

Red T stands for mono coating, but " king " indicates that it is "apochromatic lens".
Apochromatic lenses refer to lenses that have strictly corrected chromatic aberration, etc., at that time, the number of production itself was very small, so there is scarcity value.

A lens strictly corrected for chromatic aberration for the three primary colors (at that time, "RBY" (red and blue yellow)) is called "apochromatic lens", it is very expensive and the number of production itself is small It is a lens. The meaning of " king " is that light (3 = red, blue and yellow) is incident from the left side as the optical glass lens is regarded as the vertical line "I", and the light corrected for chromatic aberration is emitted from the right side It is a logo that shows that. Great!

Google Translated Link: https://bit.ly/2QDmTYX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The "King" Biotar Reply with quote

BigShotPhotos wrote:

Usually, it is Red T , but add 2 to T and it is " King ". That's why King Tessar is King Tessar.

Red T stands for mono coating, but " king " indicates that it is "apochromatic lens".
Apochromatic lenses refer to lenses that have strictly corrected chromatic aberration, etc., at that time, the number of production itself was very small, so there is scarcity value.

A lens strictly corrected for chromatic aberration for the three primary colors (at that time, "RBY" (red and blue yellow)) is called "apochromatic lens", it is very expensive and the number of production itself is small It is a lens. The meaning of " king " is that light (3 = red, blue and yellow) is incident from the left side as the optical glass lens is regarded as the vertical line "I", and the light corrected for chromatic aberration is emitted from the right side It is a logo that shows that. Great!

Google Translated Link: https://bit.ly/2QDmTYX

They are not Apochromatic... T is trademarked, so they altered the T to have 2 extra bars, that is it.