Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fun with (Adapt-A-Matic) lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Fun with (Adapt-A-Matic) lenses Reply with quote

It happens on eBay every now and again. I looked, blinked, my mind went foggy, confusion asserted itself . . . . and then slowly I recovered:

Click here to see on Ebay

Rare? You betcha. An Adapt-A-Matic 90mm-250mm zoom would indeed be rare; if it existed at all. Which it does not!

That's what threw me off at first and knocked my head askew . . that and the outlandish price!

Reality now restored, what we have here is a completely pedestrian Adapt-A-Matic 80mm-250mm zoom, overpriced as if on steroids. This is not a very good lens optically. It is sought after primarily by Adapt-A-Matic collectors wishing to complete their set of these great lenses. Of all the Adapt-A-Matics, though, I hold this particular lens in poorest regard.

You don't know whether to laugh at a seller like this or feel sorry for him/her. I lean toward the latter option.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I recently saw a lens listed as F3.5/2000mm Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw a 80-400mm adaptall 2 lens and got really excited/confused at the same time (pretty sure it is still up). After reading the description of the items and looking at the pictures posted,I figured out that the seller is selling a 80-200 (ultra common) adaptall 2 with a 2X T/C. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I guess the seller decided that you can cover between 80-400 mm by using a 2XTC. I was tempted to point out that the short end became 160 when the T/C is attached

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good are adaptall TCs in general? any advantages against straight, no-name TCs?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
How good are adaptall TCs in general? any advantages against straight, no-name TCs?

Supposedly very good. Especially for macro purpose. I use it with all of my SP lenses and have no complain. Since it is so cheap ($20-$30), I don't see why you wouldn't want to just use it.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, everyone has it's own definitions for "cheap". For me it is lowest price available on ebay - $0.99+free shipping Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good notion as to whether this adaptamatic version is optically the same as the adaptall version? The specs are the same I think ('matic is 14 elements in 9 groups, no info on the adaptall).

My Z250 has good resolution actually, more than enough to give my other adaptalls and even my VS1 a run for their money. Contrast is a different story.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Does anyone have a good notion as to whether this adaptamatic version is optically the same as the adaptall version? The specs are the same I think ('matic is 14 elements in 9 groups, no info on the adaptall).

My Z250 has good resolution actually, more than enough to give my other adaptalls and even my VS1 a run for their money. Contrast is a different story.

From adaptall-2.org:

"All of the Adapt-A-Matic primes are fairly sharp — especially at moderate apertures. The Adapt-A-Matic zoom lenses are quite large (in terms of overall length versus maximum focal length) since low dispersion and high refractive index glasses and advanced computer optimized design techniques were not net available. These zoom lenses tend to have merely fair color correction in the deep red part of the spectrum due to moderate chromatic aberration for deep red colors. Tamron's optical engineers, unlike most competing lens manufacturers, chose to correct their lenses for reddish orange and for blue since color films are very sensitive in blue and violet. As a result, these lenses don't produce the dreaded purple color fringing but instead produce a smaller and much softer red fringing which is less noticeable to the human eye. Also note that some of these zooms tend to be somewhat lacking in sharpness towards the extreme corners of the film plane when compared to 1980s era zoom lenses. Optical performance of these lenses is very typical of the era regardless of the lens manufacturer."

I also believe BBAR MC coating didn't appear until the adaptall-2 era.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been prowling ebay a lot recently.

Some things I've noticed are a LOT of F1.2 listings are actually F2 lenses.
A LOT of F2.8 zooms are listed as F2-8

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beomagi wrote:
I've been prowling ebay a lot recently.

Some things I've noticed are a LOT of F1.2 listings are actually F2 lenses.
A LOT of F2.8 zooms are listed as F2-8

As the American baby boomers age, retire, and die, a lot more of these "from my father's estate, I don't know anything about it" type auction will appear on eBay.