Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun ghosts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Sun ghosts Reply with quote

A few pictorial effects caused by internal reflections of sunlight in a Tamron 28mm F2.8 and Pentacon 29mm F2.8.

The Tamron uses a 5-blade diaphragm while the Pentacon uses a 6-blade. As a consequence, the ghosts produced by the Tamron have pentagonal shape, and the Pentacon, hexagonal.

Last edited by Gerald on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add some interesting technical information I found about the ghosts which are produced when a lens is illuminated directly by the sun.

Today, many people get a little paranoid when sun ghosts appear in an image. On the other hand, those same people love to see pictures with points of light out of focus in what is called "bokeh". Go figure.

A common belief is that the best lens coatings have the ability to eliminate sun ghosts. That is completely wrong! Who says that is a Zeiss scientist, Dr. Hubert Nasse:

"So with the presently available coating technologies the attenuation of the ghost paths is not good enough to cover the possible dynamic range of subjects including the light source and deep shadow. Additional attenuation is required by distributing the light of the ghost path over a larger area of the sensor."

http://diglloyd.com/articles/ZeissZ/ZeissZ-15Distagon-NasseInterview-FlareControl.html

The explanation is very simple. According to Dr. Nasse, a high-quality coating on an optical surface reflects approximately 0.1% to 0.4% of the incident light. This corresponds to an "attenuation" of 8 to 10 stops. Remember we are speaking here about the state-of-the-art of lens coating. Not all optical surfaces are multicoated even in famous and expensive lenses.

Two reflections are required for the sunlight to reach the sensor, so that the total attenuation is 16 to 20 stops. Unfortunately, the ratio between the brightness of the sun and the deep shadows of a picture can get to 27 stops. The conclusion is that the attenuation of the best coatings is insufficient to prevent sun ghosts.

What to do then?

As Dr. Nasse says, the designer of the lens tries to make the reflections of the sun the most out-of-focus as possible. The diaphragm images (see the pictures in the original post) are nothing but the out-of-focus sun's images.

The optical surfaces of a lens are designed to minimize aberrations, but as it turns out they are also important in the formation of sun ghosts. Sometimes, by sheer luck a lens is much better than another in relation to the rejection of sun ghosts. This performance difference may have no relation to the quality of the multicoating, or correction of aberrations.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice - and some of these are very nice images !
In the old days these were often used creatively.
For such use I'd say number of blades is less important than whether they appear symmetrical.
A wonky pentagon or hexagon aperture is no problem with a normal image usually, because you dont see it. But in this sort of thing you want a nice looking aperture. Hmm, what about a Komura WA with star shaped aperture ?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron has a pentagon.
The Pentacon has a hexagon.
What will have a Hexanon?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very nice - and some of these are very nice images !
In the old days these were often used creatively.
For such use I'd say number of blades is less important than whether they appear symmetrical.
A wonky pentagon or hexagon aperture is no problem with a normal image usually, because you dont see it. But in this sort of thing you want a nice looking aperture. Hmm, what about a Komura WA with star shaped aperture ?

Interesting effects! This kind of flare is still used creatively today. Any of you who are SciFi fans, and are familiar with the Firefly tv series, might be interested to know that the director, Joss Whedon, achieved a look similar to the cinematography of 1970's spaghetti westerns by using vintage lenses prone to flare. Very Happy

P.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to try this with my newly repaired Amica Eyelux and it's square (with tear-drop corners) aperture.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the discussion, I had always wondered how big a roll coatings had, I had assumed correctly that the shape of the element surfaces were the main factor.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Thanks for the discussion, I had always wondered how big a roll coatings had, I had assumed correctly that the shape of the element surfaces were the main factor.

Yes, certain lens surfaces are diabolical and can play a trick even to the best designers of lenses. It was just what happened with the Leica 50/2 APO Summicron-M ASPH:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013/20130422_1-LeicaM240-50f2AA-flare.html

http://leicarumors.com/2013/09/15/leicas-ceo-confirms-flare-issues-with-the-apo-summicron-50mm-f2-0-asph-lens.aspx/