Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar f1.8/55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Super Takumar f1.8/55mm Reply with quote

Hi guys! I just have purchased a copy of Sup-Tak f1.8/55mm. All functions are good, but I have found a problem with aperture ring. When screwing from f1.8 to f11, it stops at all stops and half-stops. But from f11 to f16, there is no clicking sound at half-stop between two of them. It's smooth when I screw. Is this normal or problem?

I found some threads in the Internet that someone took out the ball bearing from the aperture ring in aim of making their lens has a smooth aperture ring like cine lens.

Please give your opinions to this work. I'm very appreciate when receiving your responses.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no half stop between 11 and 16.

Your tak is fine Wink

Although, you can fake it by leaving it in the middle if you need that control over exposure.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:

Your tak is fine Wink

Although, you can fake it by leaving it in the middle if you need that control over exposure.

+1
One of the great lenses.
Enjoy
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel more relaxed now! This is the first time I get a super takumar version, so I dont know anything about this one.

It costs me 40$ for a lens, an original front cap, a filter Pentax Y2 and a leather case. It's not expensive, and in fact, this is a good lens.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the SMC version of your lens and I can tell you it is fantastic for such an old lens. The bokeh is very pleasing and it is sharp, sharp and sharp. Smile Enjoy your new lens

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newfie wrote:
I just got the SMC version of your lens and I can tell you it is fantastic for such an old lens. The bokeh is very pleasing and it is sharp, sharp and sharp. Smile Enjoy your new lens

Regards,

Gavin

I'll support Gavin here.
One of the great things about this lens is the very pleasing bokeh.
I took this shot for a talk that I was preparing that included bokeh as a subject.
Behind the camera there is a doorway and a very busy room yet it is rendered soooo smoothly.
The shot was taken at f1.8
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Thanks for your kindness! I just take a photo of my grandmother by this copy. I think I have to practice more with the manual focus ring, haha.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With which camera do you use this Tak?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
With which camera do you use this Tak?

I use my Pentax K-10D - no issues with infinity focus of course.
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:

Your tak is fine Wink

H'mm mine is the auto tak which I understood was the same as the super tak (just before the change over) and it has half stops from F11-f16 Question
A good lens which can give you more chance of pop.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Canon 60D with adapter m42-eos non AF confirm.

As tromboads said, I could fake half stops, so I think even though i had half stops or not, it's not a problem at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So , I strongly recommend you to use a tele lens shade with this Takumar, You should have better contrast and perceived sharpness.
It is my experience with a cropped sensor and my Super Tak 55s.
This is a very nice lens . It is sharp but has "finesse". The sharpness is there but does not spring at your face. I don't find words to explain it but it helps to remove the "digital" side of your camera. It has nice colours and specially renders well the skin.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
So , I strongly recommend you to use a tele lens shade with this Takumar, You should have better contrast and perceived sharpness.
It is my experience with a cropped sensor and my Super Tak 55s.
This is a very nice lens . It is sharp but has "finesse". The sharpness is there but does not spring at your face. I don't find words to explain it but it helps to remove the "digital" side of your camera. It has nice colours and specially renders well the skin.

Tele lens shade means a hood, doesn't it?

I'm just a newbie, so with your helps I can get more experiences. Thank you guys so much! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original lens hoods had conservative lengths in most of the cases.
Add to this that your camera crops the image allowing for even longer hoods.
On that 55 - iirc - I used the hood of a 100mm fujinon without vignetting issues.
So, for maximum flare protection with that lens the hood of a short tele would be the right choice.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Original lens hoods had conservative lengths in most of the cases.
Add to this that your camera crops the image allowing for even longer hoods.
On that 55 - iirc - I used the hood of a 100mm fujinon without vignetting issues.
So, for maximum flare protection with that lens the hood of a short tele would be the right choice.

The focal 55mm of Tak on crop 1.6x sensor means 88mm on FF sensor, which my friend told me that that focal was not tele, so I would got vignetting issues if I used the tele hood for my Tak 55mm.

In my region, there are many shops, in which they sell hoods for manual focus lenses. The hood above is a normal focal hood. As you said, if there are no vignetting issues, I will purchase a tele hood like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your calculated 88mm are quite close to the 100mm for which my hood was intended, so it kinds of confirms what I remember.
But I can't tell if the tele hood you find will vignette or not on your lens, as all that I know about this is empirical and tested on the hoods I owned only.
However, if I remember correctly, someone at PentaxForums created an excel sheet to calculate the maximum lenght of a cylindrical hood given the lens (focal length, filter diameter) and sensor (size) parameters. You may want to try and look for it there.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, boss! I found that thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dream100cc, could you, please, share the link to that thread with us.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On APS-C it should be ok with the shade of the 105mm 2,8 . On micro 4/3 it works perfectly with the shade of the 135mm 3.5.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi notko, I'm not sure that thread is exactly what Aanything mentioned, and I'm afraid that I would be banned if share a link of other forums. You can find many threads by the terms as Aanything said in his comment.

Dear memetph, I just have ordered a tele lens hood from a third party for my Tak 55, thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier to find a telelens hood in Vietnam than good Banh Cuon in Poland !

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
It is easier to find a telelens hood in Vietnam than good Banh Cuon in Poland !

Yep! Almost from chinese manufactures. In fact, you will hard to find good Banh Cuon in Vietnam, too. Very Happy