Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony zoom lens SEL1650 can't be recognized
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Sony zoom lens SEL1650 can't be recognized Reply with quote

Today I got a sony E mount 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OSS lens for my NEX F3, it was sold "as is" on ebay with cheap price, so I risked some money on it.

I found out that it was bumped and the on the front the lens was distorted a bit.

When I attach it to NEX, the lens retracted continuously and the aperture closed, then opened at the same time. It repeated 2-3 times before the screen showed the message "Cannot recognize lens. Attach it properly" and I can't do anything else. When I turned the lens out of the contact a bit, then the message disappeared, but I also can't do anything with the lens except seeing a screen with just bokeh.

So I tried to clean the lens contact with isopropanol, nothing changed. Restarting the camera, take off the battery didn't help too.

I opened the lens and seems like no damage was there inside the lens, but I also can't go further to disassemble the lens behind the electronic circuit.

I don't have any E-mount AF lens here to test whether I have any problem with the camera or it's the problem of the lens. Seems like something prevented the lens from extending to the normal working length, so it's stuck.

I wonder if anyone here experienced the same problem or know how to disassemble this lens to figure out the error?

Any help is highly appreciate.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is most likely to be an electronics problem. The camera recognises the lens that way. You presumably have been using your camera with the 'no lens' switched on. Normally when you put the AF lens on it works fine. Bringing me to the conclusion that the lens is knackered.

I suspect a repair could be difficult if any of the circuits are damaged. Just identifying which it is would be a nightmare.

I'd toss it, put it down to experience and be aware of bargains. 'As is' would have put me off.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
It is most likely to be an electronics problem. The camera recognises the lens that way. You presumably have been using your camera with the 'no lens' switched on. Normally when you put the AF lens on it works fine. Bringing me to the conclusion that the lens is knackered.

I suspect a repair could be difficult if any of the circuits are damaged. Just identifying which it is would be a nightmare.

I'd toss it, put it down to experience and be aware of bargains. 'As is' would have put me off.

Thank you, you're right, finding out the damage is such a nightmare. Maybe I will sell it as part for someone who needs replacement. Lesson learned, I won't risk again with AF lenses Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great shame, it's a very good lens. I haven't looked, but my guess is that there should be some some unused lenses out there at good prices. It's the kit lens and at the moment it's difficult to buy a A6000 - maybe other Sony's as well - without the lens, they are listed as body only, but in reality most suppliers only have the kit with lens. And a lot of people want to either use manual lenses or upgrade to a better AF lens. The price difference between body only and kit is £100 so that's the honest value of the lens, on the used market it should be a lot cheaper.
Also, there are people like me with older NEX who have upgraded and ended up with two kit lenses and my old, virtually unused, 18-55 is likely to never get used again, it's a perfectly good lens that is now superseded - and probably just about worthless.