Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios M44 is here but..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Helios M44 is here but.. Reply with quote

I can not take a shot with this kind of bokeh
https://www.flickr.com/photos/racoonrampage/13913625583/in/pool-helios44

(actually I can not focus that close)

how they do it?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extension ring

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it have to be lens or body compatible? and what it does? and how you know all thi stuff? and how you know that is an extension ring?
(measure the occurence of the word and and get a free pizza)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be lens or body compatible. I.e., If you have a Canon extension ring you can put your ring on the body and the lens with the adapter on the ring. Or if you have an M42 extension ring attach it to the lens and put the M42-Canon adapter on the other end of the ring. Etc. If you see a ring you will understand. Its a very simple thing.

Extension rings add distance between lens and film/sensor, permitting closer focus. Rings come in many lengths and are rigid (i.e., you are limited to a very narrow focusing range), but are small and cheap. Alternates to rings are focusing tubes and bellows.

40+ years of messing with cameras.

Best guess is that its a ring, if this picture is less than minimum focus for this lens. Could also be closeup diopters (+1,+2,+3..+10, etc.) , or bellows, focusing tube, etc., but rings seem more likely and are the cheapest way to get your Helios to take this picture.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Flickr account you can always send a message to the owner of that picture asking him/her how they did it.
I've learnt most of my photography stuff at Fredmiranda's alt forum and here, I'll see a cool picture and then try and figure out how they did it, I also read many posts and try to participate in the conversations by asking a question if I don't understand something, after a year or two of reading posts from the walking photography encyclopedias I'm getting fairly knowledgeable myself and try and give back to the forum by helping answer questions when I can.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
does it have to be lens or body compatible? and what it does? and how you know all thi stuff?

Luis knows all. Laughing

alaios: Best to describe what it is in a photograph that you like. Luis recognized that the image appeared closer than produced by the Helios, so he concluded a ring was used. As you extend a lens, the focusing gets closer. However, the image could also have been cropped to appear closer. Some times it may be hard to tell. The bokeh, or blur is usually a clue, but that too depends on how far away the background was. All comes with experience.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be kidding there !

We have actual pro photographers in this group.
And people who can do the optical calculations.
And guys who probably have every lens every made (hi Klaus).

Me, I'm just old.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not old Luis, it's experience. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experienced does not means old. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 extension rings are really cheap

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Gotta be kidding there !

We have actual pro photographers in this group.
And people who can do the optical calculations.
And guys who probably have every lens every made (hi Klaus).

Me, I'm just old.

Old means good-experienced even cunning in Chinese. Like old fox, old fried puffs...... Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1mm-Macro-Ultra-slim-M42-to-NEX-Adapter-For-17-31mm-Extension-Tube-/360883931650?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item54065bca02

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also possible to do this in post. You just need to isolate the subject and add blur to image outside the selected circle.

I took this image with a Zenitar Z2S 2 days ago (essentially a 50mm F/2 Helio). The subject is also a small apple tree flower. Looks blurry enough. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
It is also possible to do this in post. You just need to isolate the subject and add blur to image outside the selected circle.

Similar approach here:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good, just what the doctor ordered Very Happy