Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-M 50mm 1:1.7 Coating problem?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Pentax-M 50mm 1:1.7 Coating problem? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I plan to purchase a prime lens Pentax-M 50mm f1:1.7. But when I received a photo of this lens from the seller, I recognized its coating had a problem. I'm not a native speaker, so I can't explain which the problem is. The seller told me that a scratch (or "cleaning mark", I think so), and it doesn't effect image quality. So please look at the picture below and give your opinion to this problem. I'm very appreciate with your responses. Very Happy

p/s: plz notice the red circle Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any problem at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I think I am a precisian. So I always pay attention to anything even if it's just a small dust speck Very Happy. In the fourth pic of those, I see a small area which seems like oil spreading on the sea (I think so, cause I don't know how to describe it in English).

I offered the seller to take some pics of this problem. So, I'll post them as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dream100cc wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I think I am a precisian. So I always pay attention to anything even if it's just a small dust speck Very Happy. In the fourth pic of those, I see a small area which seems like oil spreading on the sea (I think so, cause I don't know how to describe it in English).

I offered the seller to take some pics of this problem. So, I'll post them as soon as possible.

I guess slight seperation issue maybe. Could you make a larger pic maybe?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local guru told me he stay away from Pentax-M lenses because many of them suffered from separation issues. Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean "separation"? Sorry for the size of photo, because I have not owned the lens yet, so I cant take the picture accurately. But I offered the seller do that. I'll post a larger picture as soon as possible and hope you give me more advices. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really happy when receiving your quickly replies. This is the first time I get the information of separation issues. So can you explain this problem for me? I'm a newbie, and certainly your recommends always are the helpful knowledge for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a scratch to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pay much for it? If not great, you have a walk around in the rain lens! xD

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I just have received some pics from the seller. Please pay your attention to the "point" below the aperture 1:1.7 in #1. The seller told that the front glass of this lens is free of scratch except this one. This lens costs me about $33. In my country, it's quite cheap. So please tell that lens is fine or maybe I should leave it behind and find another. Thanks all!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude... you are measuring a bees dick. At the end it's still tiny. i.e. Sif you'd waste your time being worried about that!

Go and create stuff with it already!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this appearance, I would take this lens right away with just $33. I have 2 of this lens and they're really good, even one has a big scratch in the center of the lens, it's even better than the one that looks good. If you go for image quality, the tiny problems you're concerning really don't matter at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tromboads: Thanks for your straight reply. In fact, I don't know why I always notice a small thing like this. Anyway, I will purchase this lens Very Happy.
@Langstrum: $35 include shipping fees. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dream100cc wrote:
@tromboads: Thanks for your straight reply. In fact, I don't know why I always notice a small thing like this. Anyway, I will purchase this lens Very Happy.
@Langstrum: $35 include shipping fees. Very Happy

One I bought for $29 and one I bought for $30 with full of fungus, but cleaning this lens is very easy. Since I bought them locally, they cost the same as yours and I don't think it can be lower. Concerning the image quality and price it's hard to beat this lens. It's sharp wide open, even sharper than the SMC Pentax 50/1.4, and the bokeh looks smooth enough. It may be on par with Chinon and Yashica 50/1.7 but cheaper and easier to find.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens had been cleaned before. So we can see its glass in very good condition. There are many photographers take picture by this lens in my country and this is the reason why I decide to buy this one.

I just have one more recommend about SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/2. Of course, it only costs about $25. So, how far its good compare to the SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7?

I've read some reviews and know that the Pentax 50mm f/2 is soft wide open. It seems not to be my favorite lens, hahaha Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 50/2 SMC-A and I rather like it. This lens is often dismissed as 'inferior' but I wonder just what its critics are comparing it to . . . Prices are still very low and I'd certainly suggest you buy and try it out in order to form your own conclusions.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I have a 50/2 SMC-A and I rather like it. This lens is often dismissed as 'inferior' but I wonder just what its critics are comparing it to . . . Prices are still very low and I'd certainly suggest you buy and try it out in order to form your own conclusions.
The SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.0 lens is a decent performer but its a cheaply constructed plastic entry level lens that cant compare to the F1.4 model in performance or build.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dream100cc wrote:
Hi guys, I just have received some pics from the seller. Please pay your attention to the "point" below the aperture 1:1.7 in #1. The seller told that the front glass of this lens is free of scratch except this one. This lens costs me about $33. In my country, it's quite cheap. So please tell that lens is fine or maybe I should leave it behind and find another. Thanks all!
[/url]

33$ is a lot of money for many in your country Smile I still have a couple 100.000 dong lying around somewhere Laughing