Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EPL1 and Jupiter-8 50mm F2 RF lens, a brief test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: EPL1 and Jupiter-8 50mm F2 RF lens, a brief test Reply with quote

These are the results of a brief test of a Jupiter-8 50mm F2 lens on my EPL1. Everything was done tripod mounted with custom WB, recording Large Fine jpeg. No post processing other than resizing and cropping.

In general, I found the lens rather soft until f4/5.6, whilst contrast is a bit weak at f2 (but this is easy to correct). There is however no colour fringing. I did find it a bit fiddly to use because the aperture ring rotates with the focus ring and has no click stops (is this normal or a defect with my copy?). The lens is very light and compact but adding a hood (reputedly important with this lens due to sensitivity to flare) eats away at this advantage.

Below is the picture of the lens on the camera with the small hood I used.

Central Resolution Test

Full picture of my test target at f2. The target distance was 2.5m

Next are crops at f2 to f16

Bokeh Test

These were taken at about 1.4 m (the statue is quite small). Focus was on the left eye. In order, F2, F2.8, F4 and f5.6. Apologies for the lack of colour but spring hasn't really got underway yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ive fo und rhis to be a pretty unsatisying lens as well my copy has a 'stopless' aperture ring as well, which is annoying, and the lack of sharpness and flare in sunlit scenes makes this a seldom used lens in my collection....

btw mark, i sent you a pm related to my m4/3 aperture setting post that i hope you received.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous test!

Thanks!

Hoods are great, but not compulsory. Flare is a wonderful defect that can make a portrait. Have you considered a Circular Polarizing filter? Very little extra weight but two to three stops less.

The lens you have seems to be a cracker!

Consider taping the aperture? A Trudeau jar opener for focussing, but as bad as a hood for attention!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark, thanks a lot for your job.
I got this little one but so far it waits for its time Smile I hope for some nice portrait.
Setting aperture to get sharpness is a hell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm searching an adapter to use a Helios 103 kiev contax in my m4/3. But the device need's a focusing ring. Where you find your's?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jupiter-8 is in M39 (Leica screw thread) mount, so the adapter is just a simple M39/L39 to m4/3 device. I do not know if you can get commercial adapters for the Kiev-Contax mount, which is completely different and, as you point out, has the aperture control ring on the mount not the lens. I know some people have made a Kiev-Contax adapter by taking the mount from a broken camera.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you

I don't knew it was a m39 lens.

I will search for a kiev for spares and try to do it myself