Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar 135mm MC Electric and Pancolar-like effects
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 135mm MC Electric and Pancolar-like effects Reply with quote

Hi guys, I was told this type of lens is capable of pretty much similar effects - a large "fiery rings" under a certain angle against the sun - like some Pancolars does:

But for a bargian price if compared to Pancolar 80.

Please does any of you have deeper experience with this lens? Is it true (I have seen trustworthy Sonnar photos with the ring being present) or is it just individual?

I would like to buy one once but I am afraid it will not make that thing (I myself do not see any other reason to buy another CZ lens, but this strange effects is something worthy to have, and something new).

I rather do not want Pancolar 50 - too short, too mass production, actually over-used by authors.

Thanks in advance,

Marek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every russian lens makes effects like this one and others too Smile. Because of the bad coatings they all make all kinds of effects. About the sonnar and 80mm pancolar - I do not know. I have only the 50 1.8 MC and i like it a lot. It is possible that not only those CZJ lenses do this exact specific type of flare, it is absolutely possible that any other lens does it the same. In this moment I can't remember any of my other lenses that ever done it but that is because I have never used flares from the lens as an effect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy So I created another silly thread?

Since I'm relatively new in the world of old lenses every day's a surprise. I like it this way.

So you are basically saying I should (might) try to reach the very same thing with any other lens, eg. Tair 133/2.8? Excellent Very Happy Thanks

Marek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Smile you must try. It is very possible to get this exact effect with other 50mm or 85mm with similar optical scheme. For other focal lengths and optical schemes - must try.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I got from Carl Zeiss Jena 135 F3.5 Sonnar Electric.
I shot straight toward the sun and this came out with the effect in the picture.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shot but you seem to have the same problem as me in not holding the camera vertical. Wink