Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor 18/9.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Rokkor 18/9.5 Reply with quote

Never seen it before, has anyone used one?
http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/minolta-sony/35mm-slr-lenses-mf/minolta-18-9-5-uw-rokkor-pg-sku21940-55.html

Btw, they also have the 24vfc, & 16/2.8 fish(which I'd love to add to my Rokkor collection).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor files has covered this lens:
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/18mm.htm
Very old fixed focus design.

I personally can recommend the Minolta 16mm 2.8 fisheye if you want a fisheye. Same lens was rebranded and sold as Leica. I have used it on both nex and a7r. It is a fantastic lens, one of my favorites for when you want to add some extreme perspective to your shot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 18/9.5 UW.ROKKOR-PG is also mentioned in Rokkor SR Index
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html
and here
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/138-minolta-18mm-f95-fisheye

/Notko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is not a stellar performer. Sharpness is OK but it has significant lateral chromatic aberrations.

I you are not a collector wanting this specific lens, I would recommend saving a bit longer for the much better later Minolta Rokkor Fish-Eye 16mm f/2.8

If you do decide to get the 18mm f/9.5, make sure you get the normal filter with it that screws into the back; it forms part of the optical calculation.
They are not all that rare but some unscrupulous sellers are trying their luck with the asking price, making unsuspecting buyers believe it is rare.

I would say pay no more than $250 and then only if in mint condition complete with original bayonet lens cap, bayonet hood, both rear filters (normal & yellow) and filter key.

A couple example shots taken yesterday with the Minolta ROKKOR UW 18mm/9.5, taken at f/16:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
If you do decide to get the 18mm f/9.5, make sure you get the normal filter with it that screws into the back; it forms part of the optical calculation.

Second time I've come across this point. The first was for a lens I actually own~ the Tamron 500 "B" f8 mirror.
Thanks for mentioning it.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed ... it's a fun lens on mirrorless, but it was probably not so much fun to use on SLRs due to the f9.5 "speed". However it was, at least, a rerofocus construction allowing direct control of the image via SLR viewfinder. Some of the contemporary Nikkor Fisheyes weren't that sophisticated as they were mirror-up only ...

I got mine for a rather modest CHF 120.-- a few years ago.

S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pictures from this lens. Perhaps could post a decent landscape shot at f9.5 + apertures up to f/16? The performance is what I expect, for various reasons. I have seen pictures from competitors' reflex fisheyes at the time, obviously different optical designs.

Last edited by eggplant on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Good pictures from this lens. Perhaps could post a decent landscape shot at f9.5 + apertures up to f/16? The performance is what I expect, for various reasons.

I will; when I have some time and the weather cooperates Wink

It isn't really a landscape lens though; being a fish-eye with fixed focus at 10ft/3m it lends itself better to dramatic subject photography. At f/9.5 any distant subject in the corners will be quite soft; you'll want the subject matter at the edges of the frame to be fairly nearby when shooting wide-open.

The two shots above were just to illustrate you can get usable images out of this lens if you compose sympathetically with respect to this lens' inherent imaging flaws and focus limitation, except for some unavoidable CA.

Last edited by RokkorDoctor on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
eggplant wrote:
Good pictures from this lens. Perhaps could post a decent landscape shot at f9.5 + apertures up to f/16? The performance is what I expect, for various reasons.

It isn't really a landscape lens though; being a fish-eye with fixed focus at 10ft/3m it lends itself better to dramatic subject photography. At f/9.5 any distant subject in the corners will be quite soft; you'll want the subject matter at the edges of the frame to be fairly nearby when shooting wide-open.

Oh, I didn't realise. I'm guessing that gives near to infinity in the DOF. Field curvature?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
eggplant wrote:

Oh, I didn't realise. I'm guessing that gives near to infinity in the DOF. Field curvature?

In theory DOF to near infinity yes; but this lens' optical calculation is far from perfect. At f/9.5 everything is just a little soft regardless of distance (I have checked collimation of this lens; it is set correct at 10ft/3m when using on my adapter).

I haven't tested for field curvature, but being a very large F.O.V. fish-eye, zero field curvature would be a bit of a silly design objective.