Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss 35-70, focus infinity problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Zeiss 35-70, focus infinity problem Reply with quote

Hello guys, I am new in this forum and have tried to search the threads but still couldn't get the best answer to solve my problem.

I am using eos 6d and just recently got a contax zeiss 35-70 f3.4 including adapter. I tried the lens and found that only at vocals 35-40mm it doesn't focus to infinity. Is this happened because not appropriate adapter thickness or there is something wrong with the lens? If it's because the adapter (and I hope it is) can you recommend some alternative good adapter other than Leitax?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss 35-70, focus infinity problem Reply with quote

Could be a problem with your adapter, or could be a problem with the lens. I've seen one lens like that that was not able to reach infinity on a perfectly good adapter, and I own one adapter that's too thick (does not allow infinity on any lens). Your best bet would be trying the lens with a different adapter. If it can't reach infinity, than you know for sure it's the lens. (I'm pretty sure I've seen instructions somewhere on adjusting infinity position for this zoom, probably here http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/637563 )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks aoleg for your info and the link. Definitely need to try different adapter first, though I'm not sure that could be the problem. Some user said adapter's problem will effect whole vocal lenght, whilst mine is only happened only at 35 to 40mm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one Click here to see on Ebay. I have measure it in the past with thickness around 1.48mm+-0.1mm. If you need the best, either try Leitax or other more expensive adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi calvin, thank you for the link. Now that is kind of new alternative, ussualy member here recommend big_is, happypagehk or fotodiox as the best adapter.

[Btw guys, I also noticed that the actual distance between kamera and object is not simmilar to the distance marking on the lens barrel, like when I shoot object 2.5m away but in the lens it's showing above 3m. This is happened at all vocal lenght. Can someone explain this?] ---> Edit: Nevermind guys, found this info at one of ebay adapter seller: "the auto exposure control does not work. Besides, the distance scale on the lens might not indicate the actual distance. Please be sure you have turned ..."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to correct the thickness of the above adapter is 1.48mm+-00.1mm. A perfect adapter should have thickness of exactly 1.5mm.

An adapter different than the thickness required will change the distance of the light to the sensor. We need to compensate the change by focusing the lens to a different distance. The distance scale on the lens are not longer correct anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that explained, thanks calvin. I will update when I got the adapter.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an adapter, the brand is Kiwifotos. It's thinner so now it can focus to infinity. But now the problem is the mirror stuck when I shoot with silent mode drive. When use normal mode it come back because the mirror turn faster, but still it hit the lens first. Guess I have to go with leitax then Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an adapter, the brand is Kiwifotos. It's thinner so now it can focus to infinity. But now the problem is the mirror stuck when I shoot with silent mode drive. When use normal mode it come back because the mirror turn faster, but still it hit the lens first. Guess I have to go with leitax then Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35-70/3.4 should works with 5D/6D series flawless with a good adapter. You better check if it is your lens problem or the adapter. Get a caliper and measure the thickness of the adapter. I have some bad experience on Kiwifotos adapter and I am not going to buy this brand anymore. Why not buy the one I mentioned?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter thickness is only 1.25mm. Maybe I should try your recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.25mm is to far away from 1.5mm. I would ask for a refund as the adapter is not working.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm not sure can make a refund but will give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi calvin, I'm going to keep it since shipping cost is ridiculous expensive from my country.
Btw, I bought your recomendation adapter (it's yeenon) and not satisfied with it. It's 1.42 thinckness, but still don't reach infinity.
And the mounting on the body side is not on the right position. They said it's their unique design so it can avoid damage on the body...it's really silly answer for me. Here is the lens position when attached to the body:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guzy wrote:
Hi calvin, I'm going to keep it since shipping cost is ridiculous expensive from my country.
Btw, I bought your recomendation adapter (it's yeenon) and not satisfied with it. It's 1.42 thinckness, but still don't reach infinity.
And the mounting on the body side is not on the right position. They said it's their unique design so it can avoid damage on the body...it's really silly answer for me. Here is the lens position when attached to the body:

The reason of the design to avoid the damage to the mirror of certain lens(e.g. Distagon 35/1.4). This adapter should mount the lens more tightly than most other cheap ones. About the thickness, I think they might have change it to a more conservative one? If you are not satisfied with the adapter, you can always contact them.

If you really want to fix the infinity issue, we have a thread for it. I do not know this thread does not shows up last time I search it. Maybe the moderator can move it to the right section.
http://forum.mflenses.com/fix-for-cz-vario-sonnar-35-70-3-4-infinity-focus-problem-t62624.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have to change the mounting position if the thickness already correct? I thought the issue here is the adapter thickness right?
Thanks for the link, not sure if I can open my lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aperture lever of certain lens(e.g. Distagon 35/1.4) will interfere the mirror of a 5D series if the alignment of the lens is at 12 o' clock position.

BTW, I might forget the data of my measurement. the adapter is in the right thickness. See the following link:
Quote:
Some adapters are poorly designed. Others are well designed, but fabrication variances cause problems, such as poor quality control during plating process leading to increased thickness. For a Contax Carl Zeiss T* lens used Canon EF or EF-s dSLR, the correct adapter (flange) thickness is ~1.425mm. 1.425mm is NOT an absolute. In some cases a thicker or thinner may work better. There are many reasons why varying adapter thicknesses may work - some lenses aren’t as sensitive to adapter thickness, the Contax lens may not be in proper calibration due to age (use), the Canon dSLR body may not have been assembled to strict enough tolerances (ie - the Canon 5D mirror box) or maybe the Contax lens was not assembled to such tight tolerances.

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db_Adapters.html

You can the list of adaptable lens on the same site. Note the D1.4/35 is listed as not compatible with 5D.
http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db.html

Someone even test the thickness in precise:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/401854

I think I should stop here. The fault is very likely on the lens because you get the right adapter.