Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 2/58 00 serial number...artistic images (hopefully)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Helios 2/58 00 serial number...artistic images (hopefully) Reply with quote

I decided to take the Helios out,I have had it for a awhile but have not really spent much time with it. These images are intentionally taken wide open and slowly stopped down, as I was seeing what the OOF area looked like....yes it could have been made a touch lighter but I do like the moody darkish tones on these images.

#1 wide open...focus on the small leaf on the right

#2 Stopped down

#3 Stopped down again...unsure of what F stop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Helios. How doth I enjoy the pastels it draws. Smile

2nd one is for me Smile

You say you stopped down the lens mid exposure?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, but I would focus on one flower, and increase vibrance and saturation for greater visual impact.

The Helios 44, as almost all fast normal lens, are so-so at borders for large apertures. Therefore, it is important to place the main subject in the center of the frame when lens is wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus in the frist image was on the first (top) of the two leaves coming in from the right.The last two I focused on the bottom left flower on the closest edge. I find there is a cold cast to the immages...even though they are taken in the shade,does the Helios produce colder colours? (I hope I have the term right)

Certainly I should have done a few more adjustments in the lens and camera to make this work a lot better than it has. I just need a bit of practice, as I can see what I want to be able to do in these images. There was a few contraints when I was taking these,two railing posts either side of the flowers only allowed for this centering of the flowers. If I moved either side with the camera I would have had the bar running throught it. Smile

Thanks for your comments it helps me next time when trying this out...to perhaps see and do something different.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more in sunshine not shade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moira,
I committed the sacrilege of playing with one of your photos. Embarassed
I hope you do not get too upset ... Smile

Please rest assured that I'm not trying to teach anything to anyone. A photograph is an expression of who took the picture, so maybe you do not like my changes.

The changes I made do not improve your picture. Just made it different. I just wanted to show you some possibilities of post-processing. The first photo is the original (your). The second shows the effect of "warming" the white balance, plus an increase in contrast and vibrance. I used Photoshop with Perfect Clear. The third picture is the result of "cooling" the white balance.

The other photos were processed with DXO FilmPack 4 and Designer presets.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a lot of people who get cranky if you touch their photos,I am not one of them. Very Happy Especially when you are showing me something that can not be explained in words. Thanks for your efforts,I do like the first couple and see potential in what you have done.