Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NX20 any opinions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: NX20 any opinions? Reply with quote

I`ve been looking for a micro 4/3 camera for quite some time now, however I simply could not make up my mind what to buy. Just recently the NX20 came in to my list, mainly because several factors I find needed in a camera:
- EV ( as I`ve heard, it`s and excelent one )
- tilt LCD
- good ergonomics
- and price

Now the last factor is especially significant since my fund are not all that huge and lately the prices have gone down a lot for the NX20. A new body+18-55 kit lens goes for 590$ locally whereas a similar camera Sony nex-6 is almost twice that, so is the OM-D E-5...Today I had a look at the camera and it felt quite nice in my hands. Did not get to shoot it, since the batteries were dead....so tomorrow I`m heading back. I`ve been looking at dozens of reviews and I liked what I`ve seen, however several questions have popped up.

Has someone used it with MF lenses and can share your experience about it?
Does the camera have focus peaking? Many people say no, some say yes, so how is it? If there is no FP can we expect it with future software updates?
Are there any general "good to know things" that you can share?

Thank you .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting an NX20 as an upgrade to my NEX-3. What attracts me are the EVF, which I'm told is very good, the tilting screen (I use a tripod a lot so this is important for me) and the higher dynamic range by a couple of stops than either my NEX-3 or NX100.

There are only a couple of things that give me doubts though, and that is the focus with manual lenses, there is no peaking as far as I have read and the magnify is only 2x. However, I'm told by an NX11 user that the EVF allows accurate focusing even wide open.

I don't doubt the IQ is great and the camera is a good one, I'm just keen to hear more feedback before I make a decision.

One other plus is the excellent but cheap Samsung prime lenses, the 2/30 and 1.8/45 look particularly good for their price.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

There are only a couple of things that give me doubts though, and that is the focus with manual lenses, there is no peaking as far as I have read and the magnify is only 2x.

I think that you have misread something because the magnification is x7 or x8..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're right as that would be much better. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I`m a proud owner of the X20 Smile. When I`ve held the camera in my hands is fell in love. Comared to the nex 6 ( which was in my nex hands ) the samsung was the winner.

And yes the magnification is indeed x5 or x7 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Focus peaking ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: NX20 any opinions? Reply with quote

[quote="Drack"]I`ve been looking for a micro 4/3 camera for quite some time now, however I simply could not make up my mind what to buy. Just recently the NX20 came in to my list, mainly because several factors I find needed in a camera:
- EV ( as I`ve heard, it`s and excelent one )
- tilt LCD
- good ergonomics
- and price

One more VERY important feature imho: Its sensor is an APS-C, not 4/3.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats! Focus peaking ?

No there is no focus peaking, however you still have the MF assist and x5 or x7 image magnification in MF mode. When I`ll get my adapters I`ll post a lot of examples Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
When I`ll get my adapters I`ll post a lot of examples Smile

Do have some samples up using this camera? I can't find any by searching for the camera.
How do you like the camera now that have used it for a while?