Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biometar 80 (Praktina silver)
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Biometar 80 (Praktina silver) Reply with quote

Got chance to buy locally reasonably well preserved Biometar 80 for less than 45 overall. I believe still a reasonable bargain, despite Praktina mount?

What do you say guys?



Although never must have, I wanted the very same lens for a long time:



Marek


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can be happy with the lens, the price you paid for it and that lovely portrait.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just paid.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lovely portrait alone is nearly worth the price of the lens!
How did you fit the Praktina mount to your camera? Is there a standard adapter available or was it a DIY-job?


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portrait, the mounts can be changed if you really need to, I have posted the measurements of my Exakta mount.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Biometar 80 (Praktina silver) Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Got chance to buy locally reasonably well preserved Biometar 80 for less than 45 overall. I believe still a reasonable bargain, despite Praktina mount?

What do you say guys?



Although never must have, I wanted the very same lens for a long time:



Marek


the girl and the rendition are lovely ,very nice lens and photo

I ve the "FAT" biotar 75/f1.5 in praktina : easy to convert to EOS mount


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Biometar 80 (Praktina silver) Reply with quote

the girl and the rendition are lovely ,very nice lens and photo

I ve the "FAT" biotar 75/f1.5 in praktina : easy to convert to EOS mount[/quote]


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, I haven't Canon-ized it yet, still being in a research phase, so please, educate me!

Photo is made by a colleague of mine

Thank you, I also bought another silver Primotar 135mm, Biotar 58mm and broken Trioplan 50mm from Exaklaus today Very Happy


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Biometar 80 (Praktina silver) Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
the girl and the rendition are lovely ,very nice lens and photo

I ve the "FAT" biotar 75/f1.5 in praktina : easy to convert to EOS mount
[/quote]

Really, I was thinking the opposite was true. Would love to hear and see the process. I have passed up
many lenses with that mount.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens I have long time ago with Exakta and M42 mount , congrats!! Praktina to M42 or Nikon conversion is possible , adapter also available to Sony NEX.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is nice enough but you could make as nice a picture with many different lenses.

The very pretty model however is a little more difficult to arrange.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for professional solution Very Happy I only know about this and also Willi Nemski's personal manufacture Very Happy I hope it works fine (at least)!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRAKTINA-lens-to-Canon-EOS-EF-mount-adapter-/251591216930

As for homemade DIYing... So far zippo Smile Have to have it in my lens first, I guess.

Luis, no, she's just ordinarily beautiful like every second Czech girl Very Happy Eg. my sister is as pretty as she Cool


PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how does it stand against real portrait badasses like Biotar 75, Helios 85, Planar 85 or Pancolar 80? Couldn't find much in-depth comparation articles with best possible portrait examples, etc.

Can some of experienced portrait photographers/portrait lens users here write down an opinion or short review?

Now I basically expect a bit slower (than Biotar, Helios), a bit less sharp (than Biotar, Pancolar), and a little bit less crazy bokeh (than Helios, Biotar) lens.

In fact, I've always wanted Tessar 80 more, but chance is a chance. Also, those Tessars (silver of course!) doesn't show up in Czech Rep. at all - never seen any Shocked Now I'm happy for this one anyway, I hope to have luck on optics as usual Smile Very Happy


PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
I wonder how does it stand against real portrait badasses like Biotar 75, Helios 85, Planar 85 or Pancolar 80? Couldn't find much in-depth comparation articles with best possible portrait examples, etc.

Can some of experienced portrait photographers/portrait lens users here write down an opinion or short review?

Now I basically expect a bit slower (than Biotar, Helios), a bit less sharp (than Biotar, Pancolar), and a little bit less crazy bokeh (than Helios, Biotar) lens.

In fact, I've always wanted Tessar 80 more, but chance is a chance. Also, those Tessars (silver of course!) doesn't show up in Czech Rep. at all - never seen any Shocked Now I'm happy for this one anyway, I hope to have luck on optics as usual Smile Very Happy


I bought my Tessar 80mm lens from USA, most of them shows up over there what I seen. Mine is Exakta 66 lens not 35mm , I have also Pentacon Six Tessar 80mm if I remember as well.

I have all lenses what you mention , but I did never compare this Biometar to any of them. I rate it behind these popular portrait lenses from every aspects.


PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I bought my Tessar 80mm lens from USA, most of them shows up over there what I seen. Mine is Exakta 66 lens not 35mm , I have also Pentacon Six Tessar 80mm if I remember as well.

So it's not only my personal feeling. The same snads for silver Primotar 135s and Telemegor 400s and some other lenses I hunt(ed).

Attila wrote:
I have all lenses what you mention , but I did never compare this Biometar to any of them. I rate it behind these popular portrait lenses from every aspects.

I was afraid this to be so Very Happy

I don't mind though, as I already have Pancolar and Helios and also plan Biotar


PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a biometar some time ago, sold it because it never looked special to me - I like the volna 3 better, for example - but in the end it had a subtly peculiar character that suited very well some kind of portraits (probably because of its slightly uncommon optical formula). Well, long story short, I bought another one recently for about the same price as yours, and now I'm happy I have it - even if it will be rarely used.


PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for another bunch of wise comments Very Happy Does anyone have experience with putting Praktina lenses on Canon avoiding those expensive adapters? You can literally afford another great bargain lens for those money instead! Can't live with that fact! Very Happy


PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Does anyone have experience with putting Praktina lenses on Canon avoiding those expensive adapters?


get a T2 EOS adapter, remove the inner ring and use longer screws... that's all Wink


PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
Marek wrote:
Does anyone have experience with putting Praktina lenses on Canon avoiding those expensive adapters?


get a T2 EOS adapter, remove the inner ring and use longer screws... that's all Wink

You mean this one? Is it easily homemade right?
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=T2+EOS+adapter&_sacat=0

Any disadvantages? Thanks


PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Praktina adapter Reply with quote

Nice shot, I have one Praktina mount carl zeiss 135mm f4 lens I managed to fit an m42 ring that I took from a a broken prinzgalaxy 135mm f2.8. Works perfect but needs securing.
After some digging in Flickr I found this link - to m39:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/praktinafan/8029067956/


Badr


PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice portrait. I have the Biometar/80 and it does just fine some of the time. Try a Planar 85/1.4 and you'll never look back.

Someone mentioned the Telemegor 400/4. It's a handsome beast and interesting for reasons outside of serious photography. I had one once and it's extremely disappointing in all categories.


PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adapt it like this







on the OM->EOS adapter I glue a small ring for having the good focal distance

the ring come from a praktina cap (cut too small the first time so mine is made with 2 rings glued)






having stuck them I fix it like any adapter but I had a small screw to lock them




I hide the sticking under a piece of rubber grip


PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually I bought considerably cheaper used Praktina/EOS adapter from some Pole.

So that lens + adapter cost me half of the average silver Biometar item price at Ebay. So I'm reasonably satisfied with Smile

Biometars are generally low valued in Czech Rep. and so as Praktina bayonet. Combining both, I was able to negotiate price very strongly Very Happy

Hope to have not optically pefrect Pancolar 80 or Biotar 75 like, but a bit unique lens of an uncommon optical formula, IIRC.


PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Tedat wrote:
Marek wrote:
Does anyone have experience with putting Praktina lenses on Canon avoiding those expensive adapters?


get a T2 EOS adapter, remove the inner ring and use longer screws... that's all Wink

You mean this one? Is it easily homemade right?
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=T2+EOS+adapter&_sacat=0

Any disadvantages? Thanks


yes... it's a very easy and cheap solution