Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The amazingly high resolution of a Helios 44M-4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:

Manifestation of noise is a variation that can be positive or negative. Because noise starts to be seen in the dark areas easier than in the light ones it feels like it is more of a positive occurrence (can not cause less than 0 in a black bit.

Perfect! Despite the intensity of the shot noise increases with the level of the image, signal-to-noise ratio also increases, so the image looks cleaner in brighter regions.

sichko wrote:
So, using Martinec's second example, let's take a count of 90. What does it mean ? How do we calculate the noise ? Is it minus 10 ?

Yes, at THAT cell, at THAT moment, the noise is -10.

sichko wrote:
It's my understanding that, on its own, it has no noise.

Noise is defined statistically. You cannot tell noise from information by the data of a SINGLE cell in a SINGLE instant.

sichko wrote:
It's only by reference to the mean value (100) - calculated by loooking at all the other pixels - that we know that it represents a negative deviation.

Yes, to characterize a noise you need an ensemble (set of all possible random events) and the associated probability relations.

sichko wrote:
It's the totality of these deviations, some positive and some negative, which constitutes the noise. Again this is my interpretation. I have no professional qualifications in either Mathematics or Physics. If you could point me to an authoratitive source which takes an alternative view then I would be grateful.

Noise is studied within the Theory of Signals in the third or fourth year of an electrical engineering course. It is a difficult subject that requires knowledge in Calculus and Probability Theory, plus a background in physics. I know of no easy way to learn the subject, but perhaps these links may be useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_(electronics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_noise
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-noise.htm
http://www.pco.de/fileadmin/user_upload/db/download/pco_cooKe_kb_noise_general_0504.pdf

sichko wrote:
Or maybe both wrong ? Two bald men fighting over a comb ?

Or two camera-less men fighting over a Zeiss Otus? Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I compared some Helios 44 lenses, but the original purpose was to see if the newly acquired Helios 44 chrome with 13 blades and F22 is really outstanding among Helios 44 lenses. I had a good impression with this lens (as I posted in my thread several weeks ago http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-13-blades-red-p-n0006980-f-22-t65447.html) but I didn't have other Helios 44 to test. I compared it with Helios 44M-4 and 44M-7 and I expected Helios 44 is similar to 44M-7 or even the best, as some people said that this rare Helios 44 is the best.
Tests were done on NEX F3, ISO400.
Shots at f/2

100% crop

I was shocked Shocked . The 44M-4 was obviously the best, in term of sharpness and contrast, it's sharp even at wide open. While 44M-7 was designed to have a better resolution, it's not convincing by seeing these photos, and I was quite disappointed with Helios 44 Sad.

Shots at f/4

100% crop

They are very close in IQ now but still I can see the difference. Helios 44M-4 is so sharp or I was just lucky to get a good copy.

I also wanted to see how these lenses get the flare against direct light

Even though Helios 44 was good to me, the 44M-4 is much better.
Considering the price, 44M-4 is the cheapest and normally you can buy it attached to a Zenit body. I don't know if I should be happy with 44M-4 or upset with the other two Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Yesterday I compared some Helios 44 lenses, but the original purpose was to see if the newly acquired Helios 44 chrome with 13 blades and F22 is really outstanding among Helios 44 lenses.
……………………………
I was shocked . The 44M-4 was obviously the best, in term of sharpness and contrast, it's sharp even at wide open. While 44M-7 was designed to have a better resolution, it's not convincing by seeing these photos, and I was quite disappointed with Helios 44.

Very interesting tests. I believe all Helios 44 luse the same optical construction and therefore should have the same performance, but I am not sure.

I only have one Helios lens, the 44M-4, so I cannot do a more comprehensive test like Langstrum did. Anyway, I took some pictures in Langstrum's style to add some more elements of comparison. Note that the Helios 44 has a larger angular coverage with a FF camera than with an APS-C. The Sony A99 I used has a pixel pitch of 6 microns, while the NEX-F3 has a pixel pitch of 4.8 microns. The difference in pixel pitch is not so great as to invalidate a comparison of the images at a pixel level. I used a focusing distance of about 0.55m, which I believe is similar to that used by Langstrum.

Center

Center F2 - 200% crop

Center F5.6 - 200% crop

Corner

Corner F2 - 200% crop

Corner F5.6 - 200% crop

Analysis of the results
A crop factor of 200% is very revealing. The full image would be about 4 meters wide.

The spherical aberration is well controlled in the Helios 44M-4, so the image is very sharp in the center even wide open. Nonetheless, the image in the center becomes even sharper at F5.6.

In the corners the main aberration is the coma, which produces a characteristic glare when the lens is wide open. The coma glare reduces the image contrast, although the resolution still is quite reasonable. When the lens is stopped down to F5.6, the coma disappears and the image in the corners is almost as good as in the center.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: My Helioses Reply with quote

My Helioses

1 Helios 44M-4 KMZ 1976 (declicked)
2 Гелиос 44M-4 KM3 1982
3 Helios 44M-4 Valdai 1983 (the oiled diafragm does not close to f16)
4 MC Helios 44M-4 KMZ 1992 (the multi coating was removed with the exception of the front element and every internal ring was depainted in order to increase reflections)
5 MC Helios 44M-5 Valdai 1992 (a Frankestein one, with glasses coming from MC Helios 44M-5 Valdai (the rear element), MC Helios 44M-7 Valdai (the front element), and MC Helios 44M-6 Valdai (all the rest), in the case of the rear and the front elemets, selected if they have not any scratches)
6 MC Helios 44M-7 Valdai 1994 (the only one with a painted diafragm, or at least it look like it is painted)
7 MC Helios 44M-7 Valdai 1995

For you Gerald to see. They perform very similar. I guess they share they same optical formula, since the elements are interchangeable. But they share little. The coating is very diferent from one copy to the next (even if they are the same nominaly, for example 44M-7). The diferences come in special situations, for example in back ligth setings, where you will see very diferent ghosts and flare. The Pancolar shots were taken at f5.6 and the flash ones were taken at f16.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:

I was shocked Shocked . The 44M-4 was obviously the best, in term of sharpness and contrast, it's sharp even at wide open. While 44M-7 was designed to have a better resolution, it's not convincing by seeing these photos, and I was quite disappointed with Helios 44 Sad.

Is your Helios 44M-4 multicoated? Is it made by KMZ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Its serial number is 91049552 so it's produced in 1991 and likely to be KMZ product and it's multicoated. It looks very common, like the normal ones that sold with Zenit ET bodies.

A shot I didn't recently, wide open, with some color editing and sharpen boosting (not much) in Photoshop. This lens is as good as the Zenitar ME1, I really like it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Quote:

Its serial number is 91049552 so it's produced in 1991 and likely to be KMZ product and it's multicoated.

You can tell this looking on the logo. If the logo is a prism like on your Helios 44 it is KMZ. If the logo is like on your Helios 44M-7 it is Valday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Langstrum wrote:
Quote:

Its serial number is 91049552 so it's produced in 1991 and likely to be KMZ product and it's multicoated.

You can tell this looking on the logo. If the logo is a prism like on your Helios 44 it is KMZ. If the logo is like on your Helios 44M-7 it is Valday.

Yes, sure, I didn't have the lens with me to tell exactly at that time, so I based on the serial number. Now I confirm it by the logo, it's KMZ made. In my test, the 44M-7 is Valdai and 44 (M39) is also KMZ made.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:
Langstrum wrote:
Quote:

Yes, sure, I didn't have the lens with me to tell exactly at that time, so I based on the serial number. Now I confirm it by the logo, it's KMZ made. In my test, the 44M-7 is Valdai and 44 (M39) is also KMZ made.

Unfortunately it is quite common problem with Helios 44M-7 lenses - some dishonest sellers just swap the name plates between 44M-4 and 44M-7 lenses and sell 44M-4 as 44M-7 which commands higher prices.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Unfortunately it is quite common problem with Helios 44M-7 lenses - some dishonest sellers just swap the name plates between 44M-4 and 44M-7 lenses and sell 44M-4 as 44M-7 which commands higher prices.

That practice is called "to sell pig in a poke". Smile
Sadly, there are well respected lens makers that sell many pigs in a poke. Mad

The idioms pig in a poke and sell a pup (or buy a pup) refer to a confidence trick originating in the Late Middle Ages, when meat was scarce, but cats and dogs (puppies) were not. The idiom pig in a poke can also simply refer to someone buying a low-quality pig in a bag because he or she did not carefully check what was in the bag.