Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC II 28mm F2.8 review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Tokina RMC II 28mm F2.8 review Reply with quote

This was my first manual lens, and after getting around a thousand keepers from it, time to share my experiences.
I was about to post in another thread, but there seem to be no topics specific to the second version around.

My lens was made in 1983 in OM mount and weighs 197g. Has common 52mm filter thread.
Build quality is great, nothing to complain about.
It has the smoothest focus ring I've touched so far and the most satisfying aperture ring.
I have to admit using it a lot due to mechanical feel.

For an external look, please refer to http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-rmc-ii-28mm-f2-8-t77243.html
Rear lens protrudes beyond the mount and it's very easy to damage coatings by putting it on the table without cap/adapter, as someone already did with my copy.

The lens is very soft and glowy wide-open, but completely changes it character being stopped down.
At F2.8 the glow is severe and highlights are overflowing into surrounding areas, there is not much sharpness to speak of.
You can reduce or dampen this effect by compressing highlights.

As you stop it down, sharpness will increase and glow effects will largely be gone by F5.6
F4 is still soft and glowy for anything but a close up work.

I'd say anything below F5.6 is for artistic purposes. In a few shots I made, I've tried to make lower F-numbers glow to work for me:

At F5.6 your subject will be sharp with decent sharpness across the field, one can shoot landscapes at this point

Finally, at F8, sharpness becomes excellent throughout the field.

Because F2.8 is to be avoided, lens ability for subject separation is pretty low (shot at F4, I believe)

Flare

I don't know where to start with this one.
Lens name suggests it is multi-coated against flare, yet the performance in this department is astoundingly poor.

You must always guard your contrast against stray light with this one.
Tokina is able to catch veiling flare from literally anything.

Somewhat well lit car out of the frame? Flare.
Overcast sky above? Flare.
Puddles. You can guess a trend by now.

I've stopped using hood with Tokina, because I still have to cover it by hand, and at this point, why do I need a hood in the first place?
While I've become pretty proficient at identifying and shielding stray light, sometimes it still gets through.
Here is an example. I've corrected it as best as I could in RawTherapee, but you still can tell

Ghosting flare is not easy to catch without an image-crippling veiling flare, but if you angle your camera just right, here is what you can get:

Final words: this is not a negative review. Despite listed shortcomings I was able to make it work just fine, and had a lot of fun.
As an MF getaway drug it offers top-notch mechanical control paired with very sharp stopped-down images, so you don't have a reason to long for your kit zoom.
This is a cheap lens and it's worth every penny.

All the images are available in full-size download for pixel-peeping.
You can see all my posted pictures taken with this lens at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157666529021967

Have a nice day.

Last edited by aidaho on Sun May 27, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad lens at all. There are better of course, but for the money these sell for they perform well.
Can also be found as a Hoya HMC 2.8/28.

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for an external lens look shot, DigiChromeEd.

I've yet to educate myself on how to do those decently.
Fortunately you've saved me from trouble this time around Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat lens, great little experience you shared. I especially appreciate the 'grain of salt' attitude there in your summary. I find this to be especially true of most older manual focus lenses I'm playing with. I do believe the point is to have fun! I especially like your shots with the lens flare.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review! I believe this lens is a true classic 28mm, often overlooked by people who start looking for their first manual wide angle lens.
It's cheap, available in almost any mount and it performs!

I've used it a lot when i started shooting old lenses on my first NEX-3, still have it!

They do suffer from oil on the blades, which completely stops the aperture from moving at all. That is something that should be checked when looking for one.
But, it's quite an easy lens to clean for those who love a DIY project!

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review! I especially like the abscence of the word character. Very Happy Let's face it, most old lenses, especially the cheaper 3rd party ones, are really not very good in modern standrds and this Tokina is no exception. But take it for what it is and you can make it work.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Great review! I believe this lens is a true classic 28mm, often overlooked by people who start looking for their first manual wide angle lens.
It's cheap, available in almost any mount and it performs!

I've used it a lot when i started shooting old lenses on my first NEX-3, still have it!

They do suffer from oil on the blades, which completely stops the aperture from moving at all. That is something that should be checked when looking for one.
But, it's quite an easy lens to clean for those who love a DIY project!

Cheers, René!

+1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume all your photos were taken with a crop sensor camera?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you a idaho for your insights into this lens.
You have done what many will not do - you have worked with your lens to take advantage of its strengths.
I have a feeling that any of your lenses will yield good results because you have taken the time to get to know them.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Than you for your kind words, yall.
I'm still backordered on developing raws from a trip, will be able to post more photos sometime later.

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I assume all your photos were taken with a crop sensor camera?

That is correct. As indicated in EXIF, everything was shot with Sony NEX-3N

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from Tokina:

And some vintage flare fun:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of morning shots I've made today with A7R:

Confidently outresolves sensor in the center at F8, but edges and corners are struggling.
Also, there is a sensor related color shift going on in the corners, which prevents one from using color with snow-filled shots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rendering of this Tokina. It somehow feels very nostalgic and film like.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer hexanon 3,5/28 (made by Tokina) has different rendering in flare departament

Coating quid?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These older Tokina lenses seem to have serial numbers that signify the year of production (first two digits).

My 24mm RMC II (green RMC lettering) says 81
My 50-200mm 3.5-4.5 RMC II (also green) says 83
My 200mm 3.5 Tele-Auto has 68 (single coated)
There is 28mm 2.8 RMC II (white RMC lettering) coming in that says 83

Seems pretty consistent to me.