Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 Reply with quote

I don't usually care for zooms but this one is actually really good with some awesome 'macro' capabilities at 28mm!

28mm macro and wide open:

28mm macro and wide open against the sun, flare is quite obvious but I like it in this particular shot:

28mm macro stopped down slightly:

28mm macro stopped down slightly, my intention was to get some wide angle distortion when getting close:

28mm at infinity, f8:

50-ish mm, stopped down to f5.6 or something:

90mm, f9 at infinity:

90mm, closest focus possible at f4 I think:

Last edited by !Karen on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite good, what mount?
Is it most compact at the longest focal length?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta SR mount

Lens gets longer when approching 90mm but not so much

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples. I really enjoyed this lens when I had one. Quality build, great IQ, sharpness and versatility. Just didn't like that it was vari-focal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results! Thank you for testing at the different focal lengths and settings Smile The cow shot is brilliant! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Nice examples. I really enjoyed this lens when I had one. Quality build, great IQ, sharpness and versatility. Just didn't like that it was vari-focal.

Vari-focal doesn't bother me, but push pull zoom is something I need to get used to. And the zoom scale is also strange, it took me a while to figure out the macro setting was on the 28mm side of the lens and that the mfd is completely different on the 90mm side. Weird design for me but maybe because I am not used to mf zooms Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I also love my Minolta 35-70, this vivitar is still my favorite Smile

for the full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/85341661@N04/sets/72157646685982514/

All shot on a6000
wide shots at f8-f11
macro shots wide open

vivitar series 1 28-90mm (2) by K a r 3 n, on Flickr

vivitar series 1 28-90mm (4) by K a r 3 n, on Flickr

vivitar series 1 28-90mm (5) by K a r 3 n, on Flickr

vivitar series 1 28-90mm (Cool by K a r 3 n, on Flickr

vivitar series 1 28-90mm (13) by K a r 3 n, on Flickr

vivitar series 1 28-90mm (14) by K a r 3 n, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great Vivitar lenses for sure.
Beautiful IQ in yours.
Many thanks
OH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens perform as well as the photographer. A really nice set.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
The lens perform as well as the photographer. A really nice set.

+1

Ahhh, Komine. They made a great one. Now I wish I kept the one I had.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the wide angle macro capabilities of this lens. It can give some extra impact to your subject.
Besides that it flares really easily, if you do macro photography with an off-camera flash you can create some dramatic results (black background combined with purple/orange flare)

And this lens is always in my bag when I do some concert photography because the flare hides the clutter on the stage in a very pleasant way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MD Zoom 35-70/3.5 is really a outstanding zoom, and have had been adopted by Leica for their R-Lens Design back into it's heydays. I do own 2 copies of it. Cool I do have some issues with a push pull zoom, need to get used to it - i prefer 2 control rings for aperture and focus, not just one ring for doing it all...

Really good shots, Karen! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a weekend in Sydney and here are a few samples from the Viv S1 28-90.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took my first shots taken with this lens on a Nikon dSLR...and on a FULL SIZE 35mm sensor...the D610
....very impressive @ ISO 2500 JPEGS
...Nikon default settings of the D610...so SOOB...taken at BBuy with MF Vivitar Series1 28-90/2.8-3.5 to test the camera, the lens and me...
I think we have a winning combination....often we read that old lenses will perform better on DX sensors but this lens works great on the FX sensor too....

full frame and crops...

I'm VERY impressed....even at ISO 2500 the full 35mm size sensor is a great canvas....
The focus confirmation LED works well, unobtrusively, when you get used to it...

(I hope this larger size pix are okay...)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos on this thread so far! Especially of the mushroom (#14?)

This lens takes a little getting used to at first. Sold it a while back and then ended up buying it again cause I missed it so much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very nicely done!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just resurrecting this thread as this lens has been mentioned in comparisons with the Vivitar S1 35-85 - discussed recently.
There are some images back in this thread that show the lens' abilities.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....this lens is a clear winner against the S1 35-85, and possibly the S1 24-48 as well. Question

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Yes....this lens is a clear winner against the S1 35-85, and possibly the S1 24-48 as well. Question

The S1 24-48 from Kiron/Kino is a great lens. There is another S1 24-48 that was made by Cosina I think, that was good as well but not as good as the Kiron version.
Certainly I would rate the performance of the S1 Kiron 24-48 ahead of the performance of the 35-85, even though they are totally different focal ranges.
The S1 28-90 was a great lens in its day and is still competitive today.
Here are some quick pics that I took recently with it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen..very nice shots Like 1. I have the series 1 28mm-90mm also the 28mm-105mm (090 Cosina?) and the 75mm-250mm Komine.

2 shots with 28-90...

click for large.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add these pictures from this Vivitar S1 that really does justify it's reputation of 'Classic'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots all.
A couple more of mine from our recent trip:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to show that this lens can also be a very good hiking lens, here is another taken recently.
The bird above left centre of the image is an Australian Wedgetailed Eagle. It was a long way off.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice scenic pic oldhand, reminds me of Joshua Tree National Park (Ca).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question? As I understand it, the first two numbers indicate who made it, the third number being the year, and the forth and fifth being the week of the year it was produced. I'm seeing lenses with serial numbers 285xxxxxx indicating that it was produced by Komine in either 1975 or 1985, but, there's a couple of these that have a red band around the edge, while most don't. Does anyone know if that red band means anything???