Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses for use as Z-stacking stages. Recommendations?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Lenses for use as Z-stacking stages. Recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a cheap lens to complete a project of a z-stacking stage I am building:

In this design, the lens is used as a stage, and a stepping motor moves the subject up and down in small steps by rotating the lens' focusing ring. In the first prototype, I used a Canon FD 50mm f3.5 macro lens, which meets most of my requirements, except that the focusing ring travels during focusing (expansion of the lens occurs both below and above the focusing ring):

This causes problems for the belt attached to the motor, which tends to slip and miss steps. Trying to solve this problem, I looked at online information and youtube videos on several other lenses and then bought on ebay a broken Miranda 75-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 Macro lens. This is the lens now mounted on the prototype shown in the first picture. In the Miranda lens, the focusing ring has a fixed distance to the back element and only the front element moves up and down during focusing, which is perfect. However, only after I had adapted the project to use this lens I noticed that the front element (and thus the subject) rotates during focusing, which is unacceptable for z-stacking!

Before I waste any more money buying unsuitable lenses for this project, I would be very grateful for recommendations of lenses that fit the following criteria:

Required features:
- front element does not rotate when focusing
- focusing ring does not travel when focusing
Desirable features:
- large expansion (> 10 mm)
- smooth focusing ring, with many revolutions
- cheap and readily available (but I can always look for broken examples of expensive lenses too)

I know that the easiest would be for me to try a camera shop, but unfortunately there are none where I live.
Thank you very much in advance for any help!

EDIT: An example of lens fitting these (other than large expension; only ~7mm) requirements is the Canon EF 35mm f2 (EOS mount). But that lens is quite expensive and I have not found a broken one yet.

Last edited by andre_laffayete on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lenses for use as Z-stacking stages. Recommendations? Reply with quote

Welcome,
I am only re-post your message to show the images... (Images do not show at first post).
Some folks here may answer you better than me...
Enjoy your stay here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, similar idea like mine.

But I'm doing it in a bit different way - lens focus is fixed, and whole lens assembly moved up and down using stepper. Currently using Osawa 100-200/F4.5 + Reverse mounted 12/1.4 CCTV lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Haha, similar idea like mine.

But I'm doing it in a bit different way - lens focus is fixed, and whole lens assembly moved up and down using stepper. Currently using Osawa 100-200/F4.5 + Reverse mounted 12/1.4 CCTV lens.

Thanks. I would be interested in seeing pictures and/or a short description of your setup. In my setup, the lens used for shooting also has the focus fixed. But instead of moving the camera up and down (which is heavy and would require a powerful stepper), I decided to use a second lens as a elevator to move the subject up and down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is in prototype stage currently Smile

So far, optical system had been tested and showed that required magnification is achieved. Elevator mechanism currently being designed and test parts manufactured on CNC.

Regarding the weight, to unload the stepper, you can use counterpoise, so less load on stepper, also, less impact from surrounding vibrations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
My setup is in prototype stage currently Smile

So far, optical system had been tested and showed that required magnification is achieved. Elevator mechanism currently being designed and test parts manufactured on CNC.

Regarding the weight, to unload the stepper, you can use counterpoise, so less load on stepper, also, less impact from surrounding vibrations.

Thanks. Your system sounds far more elaborate than mine! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much.

On the other end I have plain CCTV camera module attached, with 0.3mp resolution Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I simply got a x-y-z stage with micrometer set screws from ebay a while ago, heavy and very sturdy
and just $100 as it was a bit rusty outside, but works like a charm - what am I doing wrong? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has to be done about 15-20 pcs, so can't rely on single available parts, need to have repeatable technology.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
hmm, I simply got a x-y-z stage with micrometer set screws from ebay a while ago, heavy and very sturdy
and just $100 as it was a bit rusty outside, but works like a charm - what am I doing wrong? Wink

Indeed! I've looked at those and they would be ideal, but I never found a cheap one. My budget is quite low unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one sitting around unused if you like...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have one sitting around unused if you like...

I am definitely interested. How much would you want for it? Could you send some more details? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took pictures, let me have your email address and I send them over...