Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon . T 600mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Fujinon . T 600mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

I bought this today and it's a monster, even on my Canon EOS 6D! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The lens has manual stopdown only (good for us digital users!) but focusing is performed at the mount end of the lens, so a tripod or possibly monopod is required. No serious shots yet as it's getting dark but I can see already that purple fringing is an issue, but it's sharp!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen one of those for sale, £250 if I recall right. Would like to see the pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine mostly as a telescope, i.e., I rigged an eyepiece holder in place of the camera, it's actually quite good value for that use. =)

For photography I haven't found a particularly good use for it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fujinon . T 600mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Looks like you have it upside down; the sight should be on top instead of facing down, and the aperture ring looks like it's on the wrong side as well. If you haven't noticed, the detachable mount piece has the little button you can press down and it will then allow rotating the camera in 90° increments, this one has probably gone all the way around and then the tripod mount has been moved to the wrong position.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thank you! Will have a play tomorrow Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful lens! And in like-new condition. I would love to have one. My sincere congratulations!

The Fujinon 600mm F5.6 has a "small" sister, the 400mm F4.5, both with the same optical formula:

The first APO Sigma, the infamous 400mm F5.6, uses an almost identical front lens group, but Sigma opted to cement the three lenses together to form an apochromatic triplet. Another difference is that Sigma uses Internal Focusing while the Fujinon uses Unit Focusing.

Below the characteristics of the Fujinon 5.6/600 as listed by Amateur Photographer in 1979 (the length is wrong):

Regarding the performance, I would expect some lateral CA, but the sharpness should be good/very good by F8/F11. The only point against your "monster" is the 12m closest focus distance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 m close focus? Shocked I've been out today with a 3.5 m close focus lens, and that was a pain in the butt!

It'll be interesting to see how this leviathan performs though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had once Pentacon 500mm f5.6 3.5 kg half meter long or even more and I did use it handheld in Zoo Smile Smile practically useless to most of us, look forward your opinion Graham and shoots of course!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

The Fujinon 600mm F5.6 has a "small" sister, the 400mm F4.5

It also has a big brother, the 1000mm f/8… with 30 meters minimum focus distance. =)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and comments everyone Smile

I won't be able to use this lens handheld, but looking at some crops it is sharp from f/5.6. In fact, the biggest difference on stopping down is depth of field and less fringing.

It's certainly a nice piece to own though Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

It also has a big brother, the 1000mm f/8… with 30 meters minimum focus distance. =)

The old Canon FL 1200mm F/11 has a minimum focus distance of 40 meters! Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Arkku wrote:

The old Canon FL 1200mm F/11 has a minimum focus distance of 40 meters! :mrgreen:

Very convenient lenses, these. =)

(I would expect the 1000mm f/8 to be bigger, though, as 1000/8 > 1200/11. In fact you could basically put a 2× teleconverter on the 600mm f/5.6 and get a 1200mm f/11.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
12 m close focus? Shocked

Yep, bad joke by Fuji.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
12 m close focus? Shocked

Yep, bad joke by Fuji.

Nothing a short extension tube can't resolve Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this in M42 or the Fujinon mount and have you got any results you want to share yet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Is this in M42 or the Fujinon mount and have you got any results you want to share yet?

M42. No meaningful results yet I'm afraid...hopefully soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of quick test shots taken from inside the house Shocked Very Happy

600mm @ f/5.6, slight crop, exposure +1 stop in post, slight contrast increase and purple removal

As above @ f/8

100% crops

Needs a bit of sharpening wide open, but not bad Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad was the purple fringing before you reduced it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How bad was the purple fringing before you reduced it?

Pretty bad wide open:

Better at f/8:

It's no APO lens Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why modern long telephotos use exotic fluorite and ULD glasses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Without a doubt. I think longer lenses have benefited the most from modern technology to be honest. But...a modern 600mm is seriously expensive, I think the cheapest options are the new Tamron SP 150-600mm zoom or a used Sigma 120-300/2.8 with a 2x TC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, CAs are heavy indeed.
Maybe the lens is a good candidate for using with a Baader fringe killer filter etc., or simply using a yellow filter for B+W only

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Without a doubt. I think longer lenses have benefited the most from modern technology to be honest. But...a modern 600mm is seriously expensive, I think the cheapest options are the new Tamron SP 150-600mm zoom or a used Sigma 120-300/2.8 with a 2x TC.

A repro lens on a bit of drainpipe with bellows on the back for focusing works and is dirt cheap. Process lenses are apochromatic so no Ca and they are very high resolution too. A bit unwieldy and needs a solid tripod but it works.

I have a Wollensak 540mm that works nicely:

http://forum.mflenses.com/wollensak-21-25-inch-f10-apochromatic-raptar-t41824.html

A boat 1km away, wide open at f10:

100% crop:

Those offshore turbines are 14-15km away, each one is 100m tall with 136m diameter rotors.

These repro lenses cost thousands when they were new, I paid 25 quid for that one, they appear on ebay quite often, Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikkor, Fujinon, Cooke, Wray, Ross, they all made them, I have three or four in the the 270-340mm range but those are for large format use.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Photography was right: the image quality and resolution in particular, decreases when the focal length exceeds 100mm. However, I did not feel the image quality of this Fujinon is bad. Actually, I had the impression that it is above average for a 500 or 600mm lens of the '60s and '70s. Probably the Fujinon is as good or better as the Pentacon 500mm F5.6 or 500mm F4.5 Super Takumar of the same period.

I remember that Modern Photography tested the Fujinon 400mm F4.5, which uses the same optical formula that Fujinon 600mm F5.6. MP was well impressed, and said the Fujinon was quasi -apochromatic.

What I noticed as obvious flaw was the longitudinal chromatic aberration, which generates a blue haze in areas of transition from whites to black. That is expected from a 600mm lens wide open! I believe that just by closing the aperture by one or two points, the LoCA will virtually disappear. Can you live with a F11 lens?

Note: The modern telephoto lenses with low-dispersion glasses are better, but they are far from perfection. Maybe the chromatic aberration is reduced by half or something, but not to zero as many people believe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why doublets are partially better.
For example the Novoflex 600mm F8 is much better but does only have two elements.
Of course it's only F8, but I wonder if that's the deal.
I also had telescope doublets with similar or longer FL and around F10 and they also had less CAs aswell.

@Ian
Processing lenses can be very nice "telescopes" but as far as I know many don't work nice at infinity in terms of resolution. For example my G-Claron was afwul at infinity and NEX-3.
Your Wollensak is above average for processing lenses I guess.