Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kern Paillard 1.6/50 projection lens for mild sharpness
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Kern Paillard 1.6/50 projection lens for mild sharpness Reply with quote

Curiously enough, I catch new (old) projection glass towards the New Year, so that my posts here are systematically marked with swirl in this period. This time it is a Kern Paillard 1.6/50 for 16mm film projector. The lens physical form is pretty attractive, with its clean shape chrome barrel.

The lens vignettes and swirls on APS-C which makes part of its character, common to many 16mm projector lenses. As compared to many from this family, corner abberations are milder and central sharpness/punch is notorious. The barrel may be unscrewed in two parts giving an easy access to the glass for cleaning. If I got it right, the lens is a triplet, the barrel holding one small rear glass and two front ones (possibly a doublet).

The compact lens' size is a relative disadvantage in terms of adaptation, but I found a trick putting the lens into a section of M42 extension tube, with a poliprene padding fixing it inside, and attached the construction to an M42 helicoid. The resulting articulation is well tight and easily operative, giving the MFD of around 30cm.

Some quick shots taken with Sony Nex, with autocontrast applied.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

In the same "inappropriate" way I use Fujian for architecture, this time the projection Paillard which happened to be attached to the camera was used for shooting a museum exhibition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

I like to take photos in "inappropriate" way too. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Inappropriate" usage is often refreshing though unpredictable.

And here is a more conventional quasi portrait usage of the lens:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking benefit of the lens' swirl, in BW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colours and lights

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! I love this type of creative adaptation. Good fun project with impressive results.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, jamaeolus!

The adaptation was on the easy side, as compared to some other projection lenses.

As long as the central sharpness is very good and the corner swirl is not overwhelming, the results might converge the margin of photographic "normality", unless on wish to capture a special atmosphere.