Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Past issues of Popular Photography found on Google Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Unfortunately, the years that are most interesting to me (1960-1980) were not included in this scanning project. Buggah.... Sad

+1

I have Modern here at home on fiche going back only to 1965. Also have Popular going back to 1953, with the earliest issues on microfilm and later issues on fiche.

Wish it were the other way around. Also my microfilm and fiche readers take up valuable space I need for other things. It's much better having these magazines on the net. My stuff is not searchable.

Do have to wonder if Google, instead of actually scanning the mags themselves, found a way to convert film and fiche for net display. Finding those old mags today is quite difficult. Even a very small number of my fiche image sheets, made many years ago, have missing pages because they were unable to find a complete magazine to photograph.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
konicamera wrote:
Unfortunately, the years that are most interesting to me (1960-1980) were not included in this scanning project. Buggah.... Sad

+1

I have Modern here at home on fiche going back only to 1965. Also have Popular going back to 1953, with the earliest issues on microfilm and later issues on fiche.

Whereby do you reside, my friend? I've gotta drop in for a cuppa or two Very Happy
Do you have Mod's yearly subject indexes?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
guardian wrote:
konicamera wrote:

+1

Whereby do you reside, my friend? I've gotta drop in for a cuppa or two Very Happy
Do you have Mod's yearly subject indexes?

Well I thought I had the yearly indexes, but just checked quickly and cannot locate.

Gonna 'fess up: I'm spoiled

It has been a while since I've looked at either Modern or Popular, simply because what I have is not searchable. Do these old magazines contain incredibly valuable data? You bet they do! But they also contain oodles of (what I consider) unadulterated junque. And separating the wheat from the chaff is VERY time consuming.

I obtained both Modern and Popular, along with other magazines, a couple of years ago from local public library that was bringing its collection into the twenty-first century. They told me their patrons very seldom were accessing this stuff on fiche or on microfilm. Had I not rescued what I got, the library was going to throw it all out!

Another problem I encounter, and this was referenced up thread by an earlier poster, is that just as with the on-line (Google) versions of these magazines, my film/fiche images make difficult viewing the very fine print used in some of the ads. You strain and struggle trying to make out what is there, guessing in a good many instances. But of course the ads oftentimes show listings of MF lenses, along with prices, all most interesting for MF lens fans. So it's a bummer when you cannot make out the text.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, those of you who have copies of Modern, especially from the 70s and 80s, if you have pdf's of these issues, I would dearly love to get a hold of copies.

I always preferred Modern over Popular Photogaphy, and I was stunned when the buy-out happened. I felt like a best friend had died.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Guys, those of you who have copies of Modern, especially from the 70s and 80s, if you have pdf's of these issues, I would dearly love to get a hold of copies.

I always preferred Modern over Popular Photogaphy,
[...]

Same here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I always preferred Modern over Popular Photogaphy, and I was stunned when the buy-out happened. I felt like a best friend had died.

The same library that gave me my film and fiche versions has a machine which supposedly is able to convert fiche images into digital form. These machines are very expensive. Anyway, shortly after acquiring my fiches I tried the machine out, as it is available to the public. It was finicky as hell, and I never once was able to get a good capture. Much of the problem had to do with focus which, as I signaled above, needs to be spot on with these photography magazines . . and even then you cannot read much of the fine print. Bottom line I gave up and bought used a fiche reader and a (manual) microfilm reader (which I had to resurrect).

I've not run across PDF versions of these magazines off line. You probably could still buy film/fiche versions somewhere, but I do not know where.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not un-doable. You have nearly all the parts; even the "timed switch" to automate the entire process is easily made.

The timed switch signals mf/f reader viewer to turn the page. Timed switch next signals camera shutter, focus on mf/f reader screen. Repeat.

O C R & index pdfs...

Circa latter 1990s the distribution company did away with paper document storage in favor of automated scanning. The O C R was pretty good then!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so inspiring, they are really professional! I was always inspired by such photos as http://weedit.photos/2017/how-to-edit-night-photos-in-photoshop/ so I plan to make a few such photos myself, thanks!

Last edited by Jackjones1337 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you think it's tough to pick the perfect camera,... imagine what it's like to try to make it."

Ad for the Pentax ME Super, Jan 1981. How could you resist a line like that? A rather young version of me couldn't, and I still have the camera today. I had no idea this archive existed. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I had no idea this archive existed. Thank you.

Nor did I … Like 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of these from at least 1966, maybe back to around 1964, through almost when the magazine shut down. They do take up a lot of room and are not searchable, but nice to browse through. There are years when it was so popular and filled with ads that 12 months require two bound volumes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really motivating, its motivates me to professional photography practice like - https://www.colorclipping.com/photo-retouching-services i am thinking to do same as this.
Appreciation and Love for you.