Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 200mm f3.5 preset - Why the excited bidding?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Takumar 200mm f3.5 preset - Why the excited bidding? Reply with quote

Why is there so much early bidding interest in this lens? I don't understand. Six hours to go. Who knows what will happen at the end when all the bidding activity customarily takes place. (BTW, I'm not bidding . . just attempting to learn why this lens is special.)

Is it the speed of the lens? Is it the (admittedly) very smooth iris? Does this lens simply have a wonderful reputation of which I am (nevertheless) unaware? Inquiring minds want to know. Wink

If you already own one of these, is it "that" great??

Click here to see on Ebay

ETA

Oh, and the title mentions "3D Effects". What the heck does that mean?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my favorite lens though I use it less now.

two picture taken using this lens

http://forum.mflenses.com/takumar-200-3-5-t40127,highlight,%2Btakumar.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a good lens of its time, but not exceptional.
My opinion only of course.
There are plenty of preset 200/3.5 or 180/3.5 lenses around.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

The interest in this particular lens may be due to its optical design of 4 elements in 4 groups, as opposed to the 5 elements in 5 groups design which was used for the 200mm f/4 Super Tak and SMC versions, as well as the very sharp 200mm f/5.6 Tele-Takumar (aka. Takumar 200mm f/5.6). I have this last lens, and it is indeed very sharp and easy to handle, albeit quite slow.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 element 4 group design is quite common among similar lenses of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
4 element 4 group design is quite common among similar lenses of the time.

Yes, but unique among the Asahi 200's. Also, this one is less often seen than the slower f/5.6. The add says something about 3D effect. Could be something someone saw on PUG.

P.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number of bids almost irrelevant when price after 22 bids is only $35. The price indicates not much serious interest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be be very interested to know how the tak holds up against the hexanon 200mm 3.5, I own the Konica and I'm rather happy with it's performance but I see the taks come up quite often and I have always wondered as they normally go for good prices here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Number of bids almost irrelevant when price after 22 bids is only $35. The price indicates not much serious interest.

Agreed. It ended up selling for $53 USD + $18 S&H. More than your typical 200mm f/3.5 from the sixties. Also, it's not really in collector condition, so at $71.00 this is probably twice what a similar such lens from other marques would typically bring in the US. The Nikkor NAI 200's average around $20.00. Not all that bad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Takumar 200mm f3.5 preset - Why the excited bidding? Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Why is there so much early bidding interest in this lens? I don't understand. Six hours to go. Who knows what will happen at the end when all the bidding activity customarily takes place. (BTW, I'm not bidding . . just attempting to learn why this lens is special.)

Looks like 1 or 2 bidders placed many small bids to probe the high bidders max bid so they can be the high bidder without bidding too much over the others max bid, that in no way makes it a frenzy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Agreed. It ended up selling for $53 USD + $18 S&H. More than your typical 200mm f/3.5 from the sixties. Also, it's not really in collector condition, so at $71.00 this is probably twice what a similar such lens from other marques would typically bring in the US. The Nikkor NAI 200's average around $20.00. Not all that bad.

I agree with everything you wrote, but especially with the portion I bolded.

Gotta tell you I still fail to get what's so special about this lens . . . even in general.

However

I always try to let the marketplace speak to me even when, like now, it's speaking in a language I do not comprehend.

Live and learn. But I'd like at least to learn what is so darn special here. It's difficult to disagree with something I might not understand.

Finally, for existing owners of this lens: you guys are gold!! Wink

I mean, looks as if a really nice copy of the lens would be worth a hundred bucks . . . . at least!!