Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you display/view/assess your shots ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: How do you display/view/assess your shots ? Reply with quote

I am wondering how members here assess and view their photos. I have access to cheap printing here (30cm x 40cm) for the equivalent of about 6 GBP each, but I know that in most places it is a lot more. For routine viewing I can use my HDTV and my (best !) shots (and the posts here) look great.

Of course the prints look good and detailed (they claim to print at 300 dpi) but inherently flat, whereas on the TV they are more vibrant and contrasty despite only being displayed at about 55 dpi.

Either way I'm quite happy, except that a lot a shots just stay on my hard drive until I decide to wake them up. It also makes me wonder about the endless quibbles about sensor and lens resolution that you find on some forums, when in practice you cannot actually conveniently or cheaply view your shots at the resolution allowed either by the lens or the sensor.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, my LED LCD monitor at home for editing and viewing, print a few, I need to print more.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm committed to digital, no printing review. I review and edit on my desktop LCD monitor and also view on large screen HDTV.

1080p large screen TVs are getting so affordable, any future desire for wall displaying will take place on a cheap screen rather than a high res print and pricey framing.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at them at Canon DPP largest thumbnail view. If it is not good there I won't look closer. Wink Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my EOS DSLR, I use DPP to review the photos, and I export only those I think have possibilities to my computer's hard drive, stored in an "images" directory. From there, I process them as needed, and they are stored in a "processed" sub-directory. Of those processed images tha I think might have uses on the 'net, I then reduce them in size for viewing on the web, then store them in a "web shots" sub-sub directory.

With my NEX, I follow the same general procedure, except I usually begin my processing within the image processing software I use, since it will read NEX raw files. As far as storage goes, I have similar directories set up exclusively for the NEX.

With respect to film I have two paths to digitize my images -- scan or dupe. Each has its own similar sub directories as above. Generally I dupe my 35mm and scan my medium format.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view my photos at web size on my LCD screen, I print some at about 20x30, very rarely at 30x45, never larger.