Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

plz advise fast 40mm for EOS 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: plz advise fast 40mm for EOS 5D Reply with quote

1.8-2.0 preferred

I see only Olympus and Ultron

Are there any others you know?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexanon 1.8/40 and Minolta 2/45 are both excellent but won't fit an EOS. Sad

The Contax T* Tessar 2.8/45 is superb and will fit.

The Pentacon2.4/50 is very good and will fit with a slight adjustment of infinity.

35mm is much easier to find than 40mm.

Flektogon 2.8/35 and it's Russian Mir-1 copy are actually 37-38mm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 should be close enough to 40mm. I own the Olympus and it is an excellent lens focus down to 0.3M. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Ian,

its a tough length for EOS FF for sure

in AF there is Pentax 43 and also the Canon pancake

looks like oly and ultron at the moment

best,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin, i knew you wouldnt be far behind Smile

Yes the Oly is a beauty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck John. Apparently you can modify the Hexanon 1.8/40 to fit EOS:

Quote:
I've done Konica AR 40/1.8 adaptation to EOS.

The problem is that flange-to-film distance of AR lens is 40.5mm and Canon EF is 44mm. So, 3.5mm (out of 27mm total lens length!) must be cut off in order to have ability to focus to the infinity. This means that aperture ring will be removed with loss of aperture control. More, this kind of modification would not work in general as there is nothing to cut off in this compact lens.

I used different approach. The optics of this lens is assembled in the barrel, which moves altogether on a multi-entry threads inside another barrel, with ample space left in the back. So, I took the lens apart and moved the inner barrel with optics closer in the direction of camera sensor just using threads. This gave me about 3mm gain.
Then, I took M42-EOS adapter (which is 1.5mm thick) and cut off 0.5mm from the M42 side with a sandpaper. Quick check and voila! I have the infinity! Then, the M42-EOS adapter was drilled and bolted to the lens body using threaded holes in the lens barrel the same way the native Konica mount was attached.

Later, the aperture ring was shaved to fit between the lens and newly bolted adapter, the link to aperture control tab was made and EOS AF-confirm chip was glued onto the lens.

I have a 1.8/40 that I think has a tiny bit of fungus, you could have it cheap if you want to try adaptation.

BTW, both the Hexanon 1.8/40 and Rokkor 2/45 are actually 43mm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly, some 35mm F2 or F1.8 are actually a 37mm lens. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Flektogon/Mir-1 2.8/35 is 37-38mm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Voigtländer Skopagon 40mm f2 with DKL-EOS mount. Great lens but hard to find now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian,

the shortfall to from 40.5 to 44 is a bridge too far for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will wait for a bargain to show -- oly and ultron are not cheap lenses Sad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey genuine Canon 40mm STM's really good and cheap so I'm curious why you opt-out,
Only f2.8?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any others other than the two you originally mentioned. I'd be inclined to buy a decent 35mm lens and crop a little.

BTW, The Tessar 45/2.8 hits the mirror on my 6D depending on the weather Confused Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
BTW, both the Hexanon 1.8/40 and Rokkor 2/45 are actually 43mm.

That's really interesting! I used the 40/1.8 on the a7 I briefly owned, but always felt it was a little long as a walkaround prime. Now I know why!