Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44 13 blades Red P N0006980 (f/22)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Helios 44 13 blades Red P N0006980 (f/22) Reply with quote

I'm so excited to get this lens today. Since I heard someones said that this early version is not really good, I worried a bit. So, I took it out to take some shots. Actually it's really good compared with my other Helios 44, but maybe not much different from Helios 44M-7 in term of sharpness. I'll compare this lens with Helios 44M-4 and 44M-7 when I get these lenses back to me.

There are few scratches on the front glass but I don't see any bad effect on the IQ. The purple coating looks nice. This lens is quite sharp wide open, and stopping down is not much better, except some glowing effect will be gone. To me, the performance at f/2 is totally acceptable. And one more great thing is flare control of this lens is really good. Normally when I shoot against the sun, other Helios 44 tend to flare very badly but it doesn't affect much this lens.
One thing I'm not happy with is this lens touches 6D mirror at infinity. I can take one shot, and then the mirror is locked up.

The lens (shot by Vega-11U)

Shots at f/2 ISO100 on EOS 6D (I increased contrast and brightness a bit and changed the WB in RAW setting, didn't sharpen the image, so basically these are very similar to the original photos)

#1.

I let the sun shined directly to the lens, and it still can take photo with good contrast and details. The bokeh produced by this lens is the least swirly one compared with other Helios, and quite pleasing to me.

#2.

This lens has some purple/green CA at wide open but very little and not noticeable without zooming into details.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6. (ISO300, because there was not much light)

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10. (f/8, ISO100)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Old russian lenses are always better Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I really love Russian lenses. I used to think that older lenses may have more limitation and flaw compared with later versions, but then I changed my mind with few early editions of Russian lenses, especially this one.
I'm so lucky because there was only one appeared on ebay when I tried to find, and I never seen any others showing up.
This seller is now offering a very rare Tair-11 (No 000125 M39 KMZ RED П) but unfortunately I can't afford it. As I searched, this lens is also very good, but the price is quite high to get now Sad
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261437160081

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I have tried to find one F22 copy in the past but I failed. Performance good copy of Helios 44 is on pair with the Biotar. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Thanks Rick, I really love Russian lenses. I used to think that older lenses may have more limitation and flaw compared with later versions, but then I changed my mind with few early editions of Russian lenses, especially this one.
I'm so lucky because there was only one appeared on ebay when I tried to find, and I never seen any others showing up.
This seller is now offering a very rare Tair-11 (No 000125 M39 KMZ RED П) but unfortunately I can't afford it. As I searched, this lens is also very good, but the price is quite high to get now Sad

same for me when I've touched the differences between a later MC jupiter-9 m42 and a 1968 ltm one, the older the better Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:

I have a Tair-11 red P 13.3cm with SN 000596, and another one with SN 000581 (black large format version). I have never compared them to the Tair-11A, but both had made quite good results!
I would love to have such very early Helios-44.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a Tair-11 red P 13.3cm with SN 000596, and another one with SN 000581 (black large format version). I have never compared them to the Tair-11A, but both had made quite good results!
I would love to have such very early Helios-44.

Pierre, could you share some of your photos with these Tair-11s? I also want to have that early versions so I'm looking for some samples and reviews, but it's quite hard to find these things exactly. And how much did you pay for them? I hope that it can be quite lower than the current one, so I can spend some money later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some sample with the silver one :

http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-11-13-3cm-2-8-red-p-sn000-t59231,highlight,%2Btair+%2B11.html

Yes, price was lower. Approx 70 euros each, but I found them in Ukraine. On the bay, price are always higher, exepted some very lucky auctions.

I shall shot with the large format version very soon Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, so that's you. I forgot you're the owner of this lens. I read it before, your post is the only one I can find Sad. And that's why I want this lens.
The feel on these photos are very similar to this Helios 44, and they're quite sharper. My Jupiter 37A is sharp wide open but still not as sharp as I want, so I want to try Tair-11.
Maybe I need to go to Russia or Ukraine someday for these gems Laughing
Thank you very much for sharing, Pierre ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you have a Tair-3. Tair-11 should render a bit like this one, since it's same optical formula, whereas Jupiter-37A is sonnar type.
You're welcome Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see you have a Tair-3. Tair-11 should render a bit like this one, since it's same optical formula, whereas Jupiter-37A is sonnar type.

Yes, I know that, it's also one reason I like Tair lens. I was afraid of Tair-3S size and weight but I was very happy to take it out every time I need for birds, animals, and random street portrait. Wonderful lens!

Everyone, another copy of this F22 is available now on ebay. I've just tried to see if there is any other ones. It's from ghostello, I bought from this guy several times, he's nice and ships quickly. This one is more expensive than the one I bought, but if it's not a real problem, then go for it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELIOS-44-2-58-13-BLADES-M39-Russian-Lens-Zenit-Early-Series-0006588-RARE-/231158575822

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$300 is enough to buy three Biotars. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
$300 is enough to buy three Biotars. Confused

I also bought with a price of two Biotars, but not this time, it's too high to me. The main reason is the availability, I guess Sad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
My bad, so that's you. I forgot you're the owner of this lens. I read it before, your post is the only one I can find Sad. And that's why I want this lens.
The feel on these photos are very similar to this Helios 44, and they're quite sharper. My Jupiter 37A is sharp wide open but still not as sharp as I want, so I want to try Tair-11.

I actually have one tair 11, exactly like the one from your ebay link (13,3cm, redP, m39, 000xxx serial, with hood and green cardboard box), that may need to go as I simply have too many 135's (and two copies of the tair-11).
If you have an offer in mind it could help me decide to part with it. Or, when I decide to actually sell it I may drop you a PM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Langstrum wrote:

I actually have one tair 11, exactly like the one from your ebay link (13,3cm, redP, m39, 000xxx serial, with hood and green cardboard box), that may need to go as I simply have too many 135's (and two copies of the tair-11).
If you have an offer in mind it could help me decide to part with it. Or, when I decide to actually sell it I may drop you a PM.

That's great! I'll remember to contact you once I have salary, I'm already in debt this month Laughing. Maybe when you want to let it go, you can post in our market, it's better for you to get a good price. I'll contact you anyway when I'm ready. Thanks a lot Very Happy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:

That's great! I'll remember to contact you once I have salary, I'm already in debt this month Laughing. Maybe when you want to let it go, you can post in our market, it's better for you to get a good price. I'll contact you anyway when I'm ready. Thanks a lot Very Happy.

Yes, it will probably end in the marketplace here, sooner or later.
But it's always so hard deciding to let lenses go, especially beautiful ones like the tair-11, and knowing someone wants that exact one can help in making a decision.
Anyway I'm not in a hurry to sell it - as you have probably noticed - so we can talk about it later on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Langstrum wrote:

Yes, it will probably end in the marketplace here, sooner or later.
But it's always so hard deciding to let lenses go, especially beautiful ones like the tair-11, and knowing someone wants that exact one can help in making a decision.
Anyway I'm not in a hurry to sell it - as you have probably noticed - so we can talk about it later on.

Ditto! I really know your feeling. I collected my lenses because I love them. I have plenty of 50mm lenses that some doesn't have much chance to use but I don't want to leave any of them. I left few of my lenses for my friends, even with lower price than the one I spent just one or two months ago, because I know they need and will treat these lenses well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Helios 44 sn 0000xxx P I'm really looking forward to using it.
I also have an sn 00xxxxx that flares badly, I think it may be the coatings.
And a 44-2 that is much better

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Congrats, I've just seen your lens. It looks exactly like mine, but wow, this one has the lowest serial number that one can find currently Surprised

From my experience, some early 44-2 and other 44M-4, 44M-7 are sharper than this lens, but none has that round bokeh stopping down Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Congrats, I've just seen your lens. It looks exactly like mine, but wow, this one has the lowest serial number that one can find currently Surprised

From my experience, some early 44-2 and other 44M-4, 44M-7 are sharper than this lens, but none has that round bokeh stopping down Very Happy

Congrats, I am never able to locate any early Helios 44 with F22 setting.

I can confirm the observation of Lightshow. Both of my copy with SN 00xxxxx(purple coating) on front element flares badly but the one with SN 0xxxxxx(pale blue coating) does not.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to swap the elements fron a 44-2 into a 00xxxxx with 13 blades? Or the 13 blade aperture into a later body?