Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss S-Orthoplanar f5.6 105mm does flowers + city
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Zeiss S-Orthoplanar f5.6 105mm does flowers + city Reply with quote

A few snaps taken today using the Zeiss S-Orthoplanar f5.6 105mm lens fully open (mounted to my modular large lens focusing system).

This high resolution 8e/6g lens has been designed by Dr Erhard Glatzel, then chief lenses designer at Zeiss Oberkochen.

Lens data is here: http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=313

Full set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157638318121966/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special ones:

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh:

Sharpness:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect clarity and perfect sharpness. Not to mention perfect composition which completes great picture.
I wonder how they then designed and calculated such perfect optical instruments. Bit of intuition, experience, lucky guess plus confirmation on paper? Or endless experiments until perfect lens is mastered? Anyway, this lens is masterpiece.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very impressive lens Klaus.
You have handled it extremely well.
I love the backlit leaf!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Klaus, you killing me man. Now I put another 2 lenses on my very short " to have '' list.
#2 from the first set is stellar.
BTW, didn't we have here a member who almost bet his life that the enlarger lenses are not good for this kind of pictures?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Perfect clarity and perfect sharpness. Not to mention perfect composition which completes great picture.
I wonder how they then designed and calculated such perfect optical instruments. Bit of intuition, experience, lucky guess plus confirmation on paper? Or endless experiments until perfect lens is mastered? Anyway, this lens is masterpiece.

Yes, this lens is indeed a masterpiece and its design was used by his inventor Prof. Glatzel of Zeiss (lived 1925 - 2002) in his master class teachings for students as an example to explain how he could get rid of about all optical errors in a lens. The design was done using computers and applying a damped least squares optimization algorithm. Here about Prof. Glatzel: http://www.zeisshistorica.org/Glatzel.html whoalso invented the famous Zeiss / Pentax 3.5/15mm, the HOLOGON and the Makro Planar lenses amongst others.

Oldhand wrote:
A very impressive lens Klaus.
You have handled it extremely well.
I love the backlit leaf!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

I love those backlit shots too, as it brings out the microstructure so well and also the wonderful colors hidden in them!

Himself wrote:
Hmm, Klaus, you killing me man. Now I put another 2 lenses on my very short " to have '' list.
#2 from the first set is stellar.
BTW, didn't we have here a member who almost bet his life that the enlarger lenses are not good for this kind of pictures?

They are hard to find, esp. the 105mm and to be honest, it is a very expensive lens (one on ebay now wants $10.000) and needs quite a bunch of luck to find it for less.

This was also an example that "enlarger lenses" (actually is is not one, but a taking lens for microdocumentation) can deliver outstanding results.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next to 60mm Orthoplanar one of my most regarded lenses it is but it's usual price is... well far above what I would pay for it Wink Too bad...

You should consider buying an A7r or successor or another very high resolving camera for it, that lens would deserve it Smile

Quote:
A few snaps taken today using the Zeiss S-Orthoplanar f5.6 105mm lens fully open (mounted to my modular large lens focusing system).

Does the aperture not open completly or did you do a little mistake in description?
Bokeh shows pentagons in nearly all "wide open" samples.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speechless

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
This was also an example that "enlarger lenses" (actually is is not one, but a taking lens for microdocumentation) can deliver outstanding results.

You made very nice samples with it!