Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M-4 issue.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M-4 issue. Reply with quote

I've got a VGC lens , as new really however the focus ring is totally loose. I can turn it freely but it makes no contact with the helicoid (?) and the lens barrel doesn't extend at all. Is this a simple fix and if so, is anyone aware of a means to repair it? I don't wish to start taking it to pieces and don't have the tools anyway. I can't see any grub screws externally so am unsure of my next move aside from asking here.
Serial # is :85173618

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the three grub screws around the focusing barrel - between the distance numbers - are loose. Gently tighten them, turn the barrel clockwise looking at the front of the lens, till it hits the stop which is infinity. Then loosen the screws and set the barrel so the infinity mark lines up and re tighten the screws.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid not Lloydy, there's no visible grub screws anywhere. I had suspected something like this as the focusing was starting to slip a little bit before eventually going completely slack but it would appear to be an internal fix which I'm a tad reluctant to try as the lens is immaculate otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I suspect the three grub screws around the focusing barrel - between the distance numbers - are loose. Gently tighten them, turn the barrel clockwise looking at the front of the lens, till it hits the stop which is infinity. Then loosen the screws and set the barrel so the infinity mark lines up and re tighten the screws.

X2!
The 3 screws are the small size made I can imagine, it can even be covered by dust, etc, so please look again. Otherwise, post a pic of the lens itself.
Usually, if the helicoid thread becomes seriously loose the movement will stick in place and it's a hell sometimes to get them apart: one part of the helicoid will pass over it's counterpart blocking the movement. If both parts of the helicoid disengaged from each other, if I'm not wrong, the lens will separate in two parts, not just become loose.

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you remove the plastic grip ring? they could be under there!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas the focus ring is made of alloy and doesn't come off.
apologies for over sizing but it helps. I will delete later.

Deleted.

Last edited by cyrano on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did actually do a tear down on one of these over a year ago but for the life of me I cant remember the inner construction of it!! luckily there are many people who have tried to fix these so quite a few walk throughs online:

Heres a google search for disassembly, im sure it will probably be a retainer ring inside that the screws arent holding into place anymore:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=helios+44m+4+disassembly&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=dWM0U9TvNcOu7Abn5YDACg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about the later version, I was looking at my earlier ones. Could it be the same as Takumars - under the name ring there's two sets of three screws, maybe the set locking the barrel is loose?
Does the focus barrel rotate all the way round without stopping, or does it just rotate for a certain amount?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to remove (unscrew) the name ring then remove (three) screws that hold the filter ring on. Underneath the filter ring, between the focus ring and the inner helicoid, there are three screws that clamp the focus ring to the outer helicoid. I think that's how it works.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrel only rotates to the near and far limit of the focus travel, I have bought this wrench to try :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200978102480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ordered the tool, took some bits off and still no sign of access to the focusing parts so I am now in possession of a non functioning but otherwise immaculate Helios 44M-4 if anyone is needing spares.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the above, I went in via the back of the lens and after 4 hours of frustration and dropping micro screws have now got a functional focus action. Now I can use the lens but it will need to be re-lubed and the aperture ring is now click less and loose but there you go. I'm pleased with my first attempt at a lens disassemble.
What a relief.